What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New kid needs help please with file transfer,

Wert Twacky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought new iPad and for the love of God I can't figure out how to transfer images from my work laptop to my iPad.
I have a work laptop, so I can't download iTunes or anything else on to it.

I have downloaded Goodreader on the advice of someone here, but am drawing a blank!

I've tried emailing the images from my work address to my personal email (gmail) on iPad, but how do I then save the image from that?
It just downloads the image as a separate webpage!

any help appreciated,

Wert

OP
W

Wert Twacky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! That worked.

I also have songs that I've downloaded from iTunes account on my IPhone, but I don't have iTunes on my laptop (work).

When I log in to ITunes on my iPad, can I download the songs that show as purchased again?

Sorry, this is all a bit confusing and I just don't understand how I can have an iPod, iPhone and IPad, yet not sync them all without having to have iTunes downloaded on a computer - or am I being thick?

Wert

Reaction score
Well, iTunes is at the core of iOS device synchronization. Without iTunes, it will be difficult.

It is not possible to redownload purchased songs and movies. You only have the right to download them once, if you download them again, you pay for the same song twice!

Ideally, you would synchronize the iPhone with iTunes, so that it stores the purchased songs in iTunes and then sync with the iPad to transfer the songs onto the iPad. There is no direct way of transferring purchased songs from the iPhone to iPad. For images, there is the workaround of sending them by email, but for songs you really do need iTunes, the iOS devices just aren't designed to be used independently.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I came across a couple the other day returning an Ipad 2 to a well known supermarket. The sales assistant was trying very hard not to laugh as she tried to explain that without a computer and itunes, the device is useless.

I though about this and dug out the box for mine to see if it states this on the packaging prior to opening the box and reading the little card. It does, but you need eyes like a hawk to read it!

OP
W

Wert Twacky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice - my personal laptop got damaged beyond repair, that was the one with iTunes installed.

Since then I've used my work laptop for most things, but naturally it won't let me download anything!

Anyone any good with goodreader? How do access the "easy transfer" option?

Reaction score
Wert Twacky said:
Thanks for the advice - my personal laptop got damaged beyond repair, that was the one with iTunes installed.

Since then I've used my work laptop for most things, but naturally it won't let me download anything!

Anyone any good with goodreader? How do access the "easy transfer" option?

Goodreader works for file transfer, but it doesn't help if you want to add songs to the iPod app. iTunes is the only way of adding songs to the iPod app, unless the iPad is jailbroken.

It is possible to transfer songs from an iOS device to another, by using an app called "Song Exporter Pro", but it requires you to download each song manually and you would have to save them in a third-party media player. You could even upload the songs to dropbox, as the dropbox app stores up to 1GB offline, but you would have to play the songs from the Dropbox app and it's not a good work-around, if you have many purchased songs. There just isn't any proper way of transferring songs without iTunes.

Now, you mentioned that you have a work-laptop. Technically you wouldn't need to install anything on that laptop to get iTunes working. So here is a rough scheme:
-download&install Virtualbox on a USB drive
-open Virtualbox and install windows (inside Virtualbox)
-run the virtual windows and install iTunes, then transfer all purchases from your iPhone and finally sync with the iPad.

This is just a rough outline, but if you are willing to invest some time, it is possible to run a virtual Windows on the work laptop using a portable emulation software (Virtualbox). meaning it does not require any installation. Once this is setup, you can essentially run that virtual windows from any windows machine which allows USB devices to connect.

If this is something you would consider doing, then this link will be helpful:

http://maketecheasier.com/install-virtualbox-in-usb/2010/01/02/

Most reactions

Latest posts