What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad4.... Screen problems?

OP
G

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me?

Yeah, tried that still blue tinge to edge of screen

OP
G

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree!

Taking ipad to Apple Store Sunday...defo hardware fault.

OP
G

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*update*
Well...no problem at the Apple Store getting the Ipad swapped out for a different one.
I'm not saying a new one as I believe its a factory refurbished, came in a plain brown box which my original ipad went in to.
To be honest I was expecting a sealed white box replacement as my Ipad was 2 days old but the Guy said I would need to have returned it to Apple Online for that to happen.
He wouldn't be drawn on whether it was a brand new or a refurb, perhaps they genuinely don't know?
Perhaps Apple set aside brand new units for replacements and they just save on Accessories and packaging?
*A clause in the Paperwork I signed for the swap is interesing....
"Apple may use parts or products that are new or equivalent to new in reliablity and performance. Apple may repair, exchange or sell the replaced part if it chooses to do so."
Good way to recycle returned units..the question is if it makes a difference to you or not, and should you be told if its refurbished, especially if in my case the returned unit is inly a few days old!

He assured me the replacement had been factory inspected and is 100% spot on.
Unfortunately..it wasn't.
Felt for the guy, after a long spiel about factory QC checks etc, he switched it on and the display problem was WORSE than the one I brought in.

Oh dear.

He suggested getting another replacement and i agreed.
The 2nd one was better, but it did have an overall yellow tint to the whites?
I mentioned that and the guy said that it was because of the new panel Apple uses for the 4G Ipad.
He said it might be down to the glue used to bond the screen...maybe the "party line" on problems like this?

By this point I didn't want to appear like one of those "problem customers" so I took it home with me.
You know they say lightning doesn't strike twice?
It did, was using it last night (browsing this forum actually!) and it was obvious that the whites we not right.
Not just an overall yellow tint, but held in portrait the top half of the screen had a deeper shade of yellow to it..not good!

Thought about just making do as getting to the Apple Store is a bit of a trek and it would be the THIRD Ipad I would be rejecting.
Decided this morning I couldn't live with it, especially after having paid nearly £500 GBP for the thing.
Took it back this afternoon and they had one 32GB Black left.

The screen I got was SPOT ON.
Even just switching it on it was obviously a lot brighter and the whites had a cooler tone to them.
Bright crisp whites and no shadow areas or backlight problems.
Much happier.

So not a fantastic report of my first experience with Apple products, that said the tablet I have now is superb and finally I can see what all the fuss is about.
The guys at the Apple Store were top notch and seemed genuinely surprised by the problems I was having.

To be honest I'm a bit disappointed with Apple in principle at having paid a lot of money mere days ago only to be issued with a refurbished unit.
But it still has the same warranty and it IS brand new to all intents and purposes in that its came direct form the Factory and no doubt had brand new screen, case etc.

So my message I guess is that its worth persevering until you get a unit you can live with.
Good screens ARE out there, but you should NOT have to go through the "recycle lottery" to get one.
Bad form Apple, good system if it works but tightenup your QC please. *

*The guy today said that as I have returned a few Ipads with screen issues so close together, this will be flagged up to Apple and they will look into it, so hopefully my experience will have helped, who knows? :)

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
WoW.....
What a fiasco.

I have a hard time believing there can be a lot of refurbed iPad 4 units available since its only been out for 6 weeks.
You paid good money for your iPad and deseve top notch performance, that is what Apple is supposed to be all about.
Seems their quality control could be stepped up a notch.

Good for you sticking to your guns and demanding what you paid for.
Glad to hear it worked out! :thumbs:

Fluidz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I ended up with 3 ipad 3rd gens with uniform issues, and one ipad 2 with a yellow glue border, ended up taking them all back as I just couldn't live with their flaws. 6 months down the line, bought the new Ipad 4th gen from Pc World and it was spot on first time. Unfortunately I've lost faith in Apple and will be expecting the next gen IPads to have the same screen issues too and not looking forward to it. It's as if they make batches of these Ipads with bad screens and a few out of the batch are intentionally made with better quality displays, they know most wont notice and its probably cheaper to produce this way. It's an Ipad lottery.

OP
G

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hear you, I wouldn't bet Apple have been playing things particularly straight of late, with the Samsung suit and their ever expanding Terms and Conditions.
For the premium price paid the units should be perfect - no sample variances, no getting manufacturing done on the cheap.

I wonder if Apple are turning a corner post Steve Jobs, and maybe not in a good way.

That said, great product.
Its a shame your not guaranteed a perfect unit but hey, at least you can swap it out until you do?
Not everyone can or would be willing to and I wonder if Apple know this.

Its Business though and that's not always good for the punter.
I originally went for the Nexus 10 (with its higher res screen) but the real world experience of using it didn't translate into something enjoyable.
Despite higher hardware spec it didn't feel "smooth" to use all the time, there were dropped frames, stutters and along with the plastic case it felt unfinished somehow.
Also, there weren't many killer apps for it. Gorgeous screen but it was wasted.
I dont watch movies on the tablet apart from the odd Youtube, so the form factor wasn't a draw for me.
Actually, I prefer the Apple factor as its better for apps and works better in portrait mode.
I paid a lot of money for it and apart from the screen it felt (to be honest) like a budget ebay tablet.

I went through THREE Nexus 10's all with issues, lighting problems, plastic case flexing and screen quality issues, before I decided that the Product was not quite there yet and asked for my money back.
Also the security seals were broken on one of the units....who knows why?
Hence my disappointment getting non perfect tablets AGAIN, this time from Apple even with its premium price and reputation for quality.

So its not just Apple.
Yup, business is business I guess....

We're paying a lot of money for these products, dont accept anything les than 100% (or as close to it as possible!)

Last edited:
OP
G

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
loving my ipad by the way, much better experience than Android for me.
All to do with the apps.

OP
G

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
*UPDATE*

phoned AppleCare this morning.
Very helpful Apple rep sympathised with situation but as the Ipad being returned wasn't original serial number it would cause problems.

She had to seek authorisation from Manager for brand new replacement and would contact me.
She phoned an hour or so later to let me know a brand new ipad would be sent out to ASAP and courier would contact me to collect old one.

Felt as though I was looked after, good service by Apple.

Like a happy ending, happy holidays folks. :)

Houdini5150

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am glad it worked out for you. After reading this thread, I am worried about mine that's being sent to me for Christmas. Going to have to look into this on mine and my nephews.

OP
G

gazjam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Received new Ipad today, white box shrinkwrapped, manufacturing date Week49 Dec 2012.

Perfect screen..so THIS is what all the fuss is about..
Happy with this, though notice its a slightly warmer white.
Contrast and ease on the eyes is a lot better though.
Noticed its less blue in colour than some of the pads I've had, but a far better colour balance?
Elsewhere I've read that leaving the screen on full brightness can take away any warm colouring of the whites..had mine on full brightnesss wrapped up in a towel (to generate heat) and whites are cooler visually (more blue in hue) than it was when it was first switched on.
Will leave a couple of hours longer then just enjoy the bloomin thing! :)

Have to say the screen is superb.
Had a Nexus 10 and this is better, maybe not in specs on paper, but you can't tell the difference apart form the Ipad being more fuller colours with better contrast.
The Nexus is more washed out in comparison.The Nexus is more washed out in comparison.
There is zero lag with the Ipad, cant say the same for the Nexus 10.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts