What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad2 but no FaceTime?

Reaction score
j0yful said:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/12390333?messageID=12390333

read the thread, it only affects those devices that were bought in UAE. that is something.

Well, that is something.

So there is a workaround.

When the iPad is restored from outside the UAE, it installs FaceTime, even when going back into the UAE will FaceTime stay connected.

So what needs to be done is the following:

-go to apple.com/uk and setup an account, just use any random address and pick No payment method.
- in iTunes, select Store->Deauthorize this computer and remove your UAE account

Now we need to fool iTunes into thinking you are outside UAE
- download a VPN software. hotspotshield.com works fine and is what I use often
-install it, then run and click connect
-when the icon turns green, go back to iTunes, connect the iPad and hit restore/upgrade.

When the iPad is restored, it should have FaceTime.
So finally, reactivate your UAE apple ID via Store->Authorize this computer.

The part of removing the UAE account may not be necessary, I just included it to be safe.

wendelld

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 from authorized distributors here in the UAE will not have the FACETIME app, they are blocked by the serial number of the ipads same as the iphone4 before that are from the authorized distributors also. So even if you update to latest firmware it will not be available. The only solution is to buy from the Grey market or buy from other countries that supports FACETIME. I bought my ipad 2 from souq.com (Grey Market) before the official launch and my ipad has the FACETIME app, I even updated it to 4.3.2 and I still retains the facetime app.. the only problem is Etisalat is blocking the VOIP port so still I can not use it..I managed to activate the facetime but the calls are not going through...but at least the app is there so if I go back to the Philippines I will be able to use it. So once again FACETIME app is blocked as per the serial numbers of the ipads here in the UAE, so once the firmware detects the the serial number, it will not install FACETIME.

iPadBang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 from authorized distributors here in the UAE will not have the FACETIME app, they are blocked by the serial number of the ipads same as the iphone4 before that are from the authorized distributors also. So even if you update to latest firmware it will not be available. The only solution is to buy from the Grey market or buy from other countries that supports FACETIME. I bought my ipad 2 from souq.com (Grey Market) before the official launch and my ipad has the FACETIME app, I even updated it to 4.3.2 and I still retains the facetime app.. the only problem is Etisalat is blocking the VOIP port so still I can not use it..I managed to activate the facetime but the calls are not going through...but at least the app is there so if I go back to the Philippines I will be able to use it. So once again FACETIME app is blocked as per the serial numbers of the ipads here in the UAE, so once the firmware detects the the serial number, it will not install FACETIME.
I did restore my Ipad, which I bought from Dubai Mall, there is no FaceTime.... Will wait for Jailbreak and cracked FT..

wendelld

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Facetime is working through VPN here in UAE...we've tested it. Both parties should be on a VPN if they are both here in UAE.

wendelld

iPF Noob
Reaction score
for those in the UAE that has no facetime you can try these:

If you can borrow an iPad 2 with facetime app (grey market one) make a BACKUP from your pc of this ipad, then UPGRADE/RESTORE your ipad2 with 4.3.2 firmware. Once done restore the BACKUP of the ipad2 that has the facetime app. This way all the software and .plist settings will be restored to your iPad2. Goodluck and hope this will work.

ahmad.saif

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Wendel,

did you actually tried it or you know someone who did?! please advise?!!!!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
j0yful said:
I dont think there is restriction. Im not totally sure, but among the UAE states. Dubai is the lax when it comes to rules. And I have use facetime with some contacts who are in Saudi Arabia at the time.

Btw, you are not on 3G are you? I remembered facetime connects via wifi only. (unless it has been change)

might be down to the network provider? some might charge extra for the privilege and have it locked down

I.e. 3G model from O2 will have an O2 icon etc

dcohen6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad 2: Facetime in UAE is prevented by the model number

It's silly but that's the fact. Facetime in UAE is prevented by the model number of Ipad2. Go in settings and see the model number, if it has AE as the last two characters you would not have Facetime. Apple's software is the same but it has a check on the model number, and accordingly either install or does not install Facetime.

If you are able to engineer and change the model number to a Facetime permitted region you can install it without any problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts