What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPAD WITH CELLULAR

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a t mobile pay as you go you load credit same as Mobil phone.then you can pay for a day or a week. Or month. As a rule I think on you tube a days worth would give you two hours.then it goes slow.And when you let it laps i find it hard to get back in to the Paige you load credit from.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well . .......... I asked in the EE (Orange) shop in Birmingham today and was told that if I streamed youtube videos all day, the worst scenario would be that a card loaded with £15 would last at least a week.

If anyone knows that this is not correct or can actually offer some guidance rather than saying it cannot be calculated, it would be helpful. Thanks

Alex

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well . .......... I asked in the EE (Orange) shop in Birmingham today and was told that if I streamed youtube videos all day, the worst scenario would be that a card loaded with £15 would last at least a week.

If anyone knows that this is not correct or can actually offer some guidance rather than saying it cannot be calculated, it would be helpful. Thanks

Alex

Can you not just try it yourself to see what the estimate would be based on your use of streaming YouTube videos all day?

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use my 3G very much.but when I have it's £2 a day or it offers two days I think £3 or week £10.but I do no I can't stream content for long before it slows down to make it so you can just pick up email.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you not just try it yourself to see what the estimate would be based on your use of streaming YouTube videos all day?

Thanks for your input. Sure, I can try it and most probably will do, but I would have thought there were many people on this site that have been using the cellular part and would have far more knowledge than me, who has only just started with my first i-pad and very little knowledge of mobile phones. It seems to be a bit of a mystery from the replies so far, which rather surprises me.
Alex

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Sure, I can try it and most probably will do, but I would have thought there were many people on this site that have been using the cellular part and would have far more knowledge than me, who has only just started with my first i-pad and very little knowledge of mobile phones. It seems to be a bit of a mystery from the replies so far, which rather surprises me.
Alex

Part of the reason for these responses is that these members are answering based on their own personal experience and use with the cellular part of their iPad. When I purchased my Mifi hotspot unit for my iPad, I had no idea how much data to buy based on my use. I of course went the highest amount for the month and only found out later what my actual use was and paid accordingly after that.

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Alex

Try pay as you go if its no good you won't lose much.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try pay as you go if its no good you won't lose much.

Thanks maxtwo, I am actually on PAYG with my Orange network and use Virgin Media broadband. I prefer to use PAYG as in the first place I don't know how much Cellular time I would need when Wi-Fi is not available and secondly, I don't want to tie myself to a contract with commitment to buy so much every month.

Presumable if I buy one of the Nano cards (not sure if this is right with i-Pad4), once that is used up, I can ask for more credit, as I do with my phone, or drop the card with cellular. Is that correct?

Alex

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Thanks maxtwo, I am actually on PAYG with my Orange network and use Virgin Media broadband. I prefer to use PAYG as in the first place I don't know how much Cellular time I would need when Wi-Fi is not available and secondly, I don't want to tie myself to a contract with commitment to buy so much every month.

Presumable if I buy one of the Nano cards (not sure if this is right with i-Pad4), once that is used up, I can ask for more credit, as I do with my phone, or drop the card with cellular. Is that correct?

Alex

I don't use my cellular much I put about £40 credit last march and still have about £18 left.As I say I just put on odd days when I need them. And if you put credit for week it is cheaper but when you have used a day it slows Down till next day.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't use my cellular much I put about £40 credit last march and still have about £18 left.As I say I just put on odd days when I need them. And if you put credit for week it is cheaper but when you have used a day it slows Down till next day.

Thanks for that. Have you made enquiries as to why it slows down. Would have thought that the speed would be constant, but I don't know enough about such things. Presumably you have the new i-phone?

Alex

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Thanks for that. Have you made enquiries as to why it slows down. Would have thought that the speed would be constant, but I don't know enough about such things. Presumably you have the new i-phone?

Alex

It slows down at what they consider fare use.Yes I have the ipone 5 which I can do all I need out and about.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Alex

One of the issues with figuring out how long your data would last when streaming is that there can be a great variance in the bitrate when encoding video. The higher the bitrate the more data you will use when streaming so it's always a bit of a gamble trying to compare. One thing that you could do, even on wifi is look at your downloaded data, stream a video then check the downloaded data again, this will tell you how much data you will use for that particular video......it doesn't mean that you can, with any confidence, conclude that it will be the same data usage for all streaming that you will be doing.

The Archangel

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Think the best bet will be to get a card with about £20 on it and see how it lasts. Should do me for the odd times I need cellular, which I guess is the way most people use it.

If my android phone is with Orange (EE) and my Broadband at home with Virgin Media, am I tied to these or can I use any provider for the use with i-Pad?

Alex

maxtwo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Thanks for the info guys. Think the best bet will be to get a card with about £20 on it and see how it lasts. Should do me for the odd times I need cellular, which I guess is the way most people use it.

If my android phone is with Orange (EE) and my Broadband at home with Virgin Media, am I tied to these or can I use any provider for the use with i-Pad?

Alex

You can have any you .

Most reactions

Latest posts