What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPAD WITH CELLULAR

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've bought the 64GB iPad4 Wi-Fi, but the store made a mistake and gave me the Wi-Fi & Cellular pad. If I did want to add the card and use the cellular part, can I do it at odd times as and when, or will I be required to have an ongoing contract with a provider. If an ongoing contract in the UK, what is the lowest cost I can get away with?

Alex

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
I've bought the 64GB iPad4 Wi-Fi, but the store made a mistake and gave me the Wi-Fi & Cellular pad. If I did want to add the card and use the cellular part, can I do it at odd times as and when, or will I be required to have an ongoing contract with a provider. If an ongoing contract in the UK, what is the lowest cost I can get away with?

Alex

You should be able to use a pre paid SIM card in your iPad. Contact your cellular provider for terms and costs.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks scifan57, I have just spoken with my provider and a card can be purchasesd to go in the i-pad and from what was explained to me it only gets used if there is no Wi-Fi signal available to hook up with. I will be going into the store to check this out in more detail, but I appreciate the help.

Alex

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Thanks scifan57, I have just spoken with my provider and a card can be purchasesd to go in the i-pad and from what was explained to me it only gets used if there is no Wi-Fi signal available to hook up with. I will be going into the store to check this out in more detail, but I appreciate the help.

Alex

I'm glad I could be of help.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Orange (EE) do a £10 month to month iPad deal with 2GB data which is decent for the price (no contract). Other carriers are available ;)

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks f4780y ................... sounds like a Darlek contact and I like real names. However, I am with Orange and when called I was told about this. Just a question, which I will be asking, is there, can the 'cellular connection' be controlled, or does it just jump in where no Wi-Fi is around. My thoughts were that I would first check if there was a Wi-Fi free connection and THEN decide if I wanted to go Cellular. Is that possible ?
Alex

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the iPad Settings, you have full control over Wifi, Cellular, etc. You only need to have it turned on when you want to. Airplane mode is also good to control that...

and my member name means - fatboy ;)

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the iPad Settings, you have full control over Wifi, Cellular, etc. You only need to have it turned on when you want to. Airplane mode is also good to control that...

and my member name means - fatboy ;)

This may sound like a stupid question, but the EE guy was not very forthcoming to the likes of me being a bit of a dummy on this subject. Can you give me any 'very rough' idea, if I buy a £10 card, how long 'time wise' it would run if it were constantly on surfing or viewing a film or you tube item. I believe it is charged at so muck per Mb, but that does not relate and a guidance to time would be helpful.

Thanks

Alex

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
This may sound like a stupid question, but the EE guy was not very forthcoming to the likes of me being a bit of a dummy on this subject. Can you give me any 'very rough' idea, if I buy a £10 card, how long 'time wise' it would run if it were constantly on surfing or viewing a film or you tube item. I believe it is charged at so muck per Mb, but that does not relate and a guidance to time would be helpful.

Thanks

Alex

That's a question that can't really be answered, as there are too many variables involved. These would include, which sites you visited, whether or not you downloaded anything, how much streaming video you watch, etc..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Lets just say it was ALL streaming video from You Tube and nothing else. How long would the card last then?

Alex

That would depend on the strength of the connection and the quality of the video.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Alex101 said:
Not even a guestimate to be helpful ?

Without knowing the technical aspects of this case as well as the cellular carriers rates, there's no way to predict in advance what the cost will be. Have you thought about getting a pre-paid SIM card with as much data as you think you'll need? You can always purchase more data if necessary.

OP
Alex101

Alex101

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Without knowing the technical aspects of this case as well as the cellular carriers rates, there's no way to predict in advance what the cost will be. Have you thought about getting a pre-paid SIM card with as much data as you think you'll need? You can always purchase more data if necessary.

I have no idea what amount of data I need. The question relates to buying a pre-paid SIM card and it's an approximation of time that £10, or $10 is likely to allow if I was streaming a you-tube video. Is it likely to be one hour, 5 hours or more. Is there no way you can hazard a guess ?

Alex

Most reactions

Latest posts