What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad user

Part time artist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello ,
I have only just discovered the joys of iPad. Saw the David Hockney exhibition and just had to have a go at drawing with an iPad! It's taking a while to get used to but I love it!!! Use it for most of my Internet searching and emails now ,( only Prob is not being able to access anything that needs Flash. ) It loads up so quickly compared to my PC.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend. If you can't find the answer you need and you post a question then give as much info as you can to help members help you i.e. iPad 1 or 2, iOS version and name of app if the problem is with a specific app........and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

You can download the manual for your iPad here http://support.apple.com/manuals/ and in iBooks search for "iPad user guide for" and you will find free comprehensive manuals for both iOS 4 and 5.

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

The Archangel

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would love to see what someone with talent can do artistically on the ipad

Sent from my iPad using iPF

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Part time artist said:
Hello ,
I have only just discovered the joys of iPad. Saw the David Hockney exhibition and just had to have a go at drawing with an iPad! It's taking a while to get used to but I love it!!! Use it for most of my Internet searching and emails now ,( only Prob is not being able to access anything that needs Flash. ) It loads up so quickly compared to my PC.

Hi and a big welcome from me too. :)

I am a newcomer to Apple & the iPad too, & like you, want to use it for artwork. There seems to be a dearth of others on the forum with an interest in using it for art (or if they are around, they are keeping quiet) so it's good to have you come aboard!

I am still working at searching out the best stylus (if it's your preference to use one at all), best apps for art & photo management. Still learning how to navigate in an Apple device (I came fresh from windows...), how to upload / download & all sorts of basic stuff like that. At the moment, I'm practising manipulating & transferring photos in the "What is it? thread in the Off-topic forum.

Good luck with the getting to grips!

axis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, some very nice work there :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:

Hi Gabriel
Thankyou, at last, a link to an art thread! I know this seems dumb but I have been (intermittently) searching for a thread and up til now found nothing. The long list of random threads in some of the forums are daunting and so long winded to trawl through that it's easier to leave it for another day.

Newcomers are pushed to use the search function but I haven't sussed that out yet. I enter the details and up comes a list of threads with apparently no connection with the search subject. Am I stupid & missing something obvious?

You give this particular art thread number within the General Discussions, but is there a way to get there efficiently, other than working through each page-full of threads one by one? I can't find any way to go to that number quickly except by clicking a link supplied by a kind soul like you.
Once found, what's the best way to bookmark it to be able to find it again?

Getting accustomed to Apple after Windows is difficult, sometimes extremely so...it's easy to throw in the towel. But thanks in advance for any tips you can come up with :)

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stranding said:
Hi Gabriel
Thankyou, at last, a link to an art thread! I know this seems dumb but I have been (intermittently) searching for a thread and up til now found nothing. The long list of random threads in some of the forums are daunting and so long winded to trawl through that it's easier to leave it for another day.

Newcomers are pushed to use the search function but I haven't sussed that out yet. I enter the details and up comes a list of threads with apparently no connection with the search subject. Am I stupid & missing something obvious?

You give this particular art thread number within the General Discussions, but is there a way to get there efficiently, other than working through each page-full of threads one by one? I can't find any way to go to that number quickly except by clicking a link supplied by a kind soul like you.
Once found, what's the best way to bookmark it to be able to find it again?

Getting accustomed to Apple after Windows is difficult, sometimes extremely so...it's easy to throw in the towel. But thanks in advance for any tips you can come up with :)

Might be easiest to subscribe to the thread.....if on the app go to the thread you want and press the arrow thingy top right and press subscribe, you can have an email sent also, whenever anyone posts in that thread you will be notified. Any thread that you post in you will be automatically subscribed to it. On the site press Thread Tools which is at the top of the thread and select subscribe

The search function on the app is not as good as on the site, there are 2 on the site of which the Google Search is the better one. It all comes down to the words used for your search. Holler back if you need more help.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

emm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check the Hockney exhibit out

Hello ,

I have to second the op about the stunning David Hockney exhibit with a huge room of his paintings done with the Brushes app on the iPad. Unbelievably stunning! If you can make it to the Guggenheim in Bilbao by Sept. 30 or Germany this fall, be sure not to miss this exhibit. If you aren't in these areas, at least google Hockney and the exhibit "A Bigger Picture" to get a taste. The book is available on Amazon. What talent that moves ahead with new tech developments. We are lucky to be his contemporaries.

stranding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
Might be easiest to subscribe to the thread.....if on the app go to the thread you want and press the arrow thingy top right and press subscribe, you can have an email sent also, whenever anyone posts in that thread you will be notified. Any thread that you post in you will be automatically subscribed to it. On the site press Thread Tools which is at the top of the thread and select subscribe

The search function on the app is not as good as on the site, there are 2 on the site of which the Google Search is the better one. It all comes down to the words used for your search. Holler back if you need more help.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Many thanks leelai. I will gird up my loins and do some exploring in the outer reaches of this Apple galaxy! With my pith helmet on. I may be some time...

It's odd, I've been a member of umpteen forums but for some reason, this one is still unnerving. It feels like there's a whole sector of the Milky Way out there (as it were :)), populated with all sorts of interesting colonists, but I can't find them.

Not the forum's fault, it's mine. For daring to enter through the--eeek!--WINdows...:)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stranding said:
Many thanks leelai. I will gird up my loins and do some exploring in the outer reaches of this Apple galaxy! With my pith helmet on. I may be some time...

It's odd, I've been a member of umpteen forums but for some reason, this one is still unnerving. It feels like there's a whole sector of the Milky Way out there (as it were :)), populated with all sorts of interesting colonists, but I can't find them.

Not the forum's fault, it's mine. For daring to enter through the--eeek!--WINdows...:)

Lol....you do have a wonderful sense of humor. :)

There are indeed so many areas to this Forum, but it's fun exploring and you are sure to learn so many interesting tidbits along the way.

iPad 2 3G 64gb

Most reactions