What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Ipad user and text messaging

MChamby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - we just received a 64gb Ipad2 as a surprise and I'm trying to figure out how to text message from it to a Verizon user. Does anyone know how to do this? Also trying to determine if I need to purchase a data plan in order to surf web etc with the ipad or if its free? Ugh - old dog - new tricks take awhile!:eek:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the Verizon device is an Apple device, you can use the native messaging app.

If the Verizon device isn't an Apple device, you might explore various apps (available in the app store), but they all have limitations. Depending on your needs, I'd recommend Talkatone (U.S. and Canada) or WhatsApp (works internationally to more countries.)

To surf the Web from iPad, you'll need some sort of data connection -- wi-fi, my-fi, 3G or tethering to a smart phone. If you set up home wi-fi, it's no additional charge. If you want 3G, you can pay or tether to an existing smart phone data plan (some carriers charge for this). If you go with my-fi, you'll pay. If you use public wi-fi, where you find it, it's free, but comes with security risks.

Last edited:

Chays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to ipf,

If you are on iOS 5 and you are talking about iMessage, look here at this thread. http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps...e the time of your life. :) Regards, ~Chays~

Last edited:

Most reactions