What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new Ipad user, already hating Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
John you are on the wrong site for that sort of talk. .

Yea, I know. I'm just really frustrated with the thing & I'm really not trying to be a jerk.

I'll just have to bide my time & wait for a jailbreak as I really do love the the ipad2.

~John

I understand you are frustrated ~ obviously. But there will be a JB for the iPad2 sooner or later!

Hang in there!:)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
This thread could be a good discussion. Let us remember to be respectful in our responses and think ~ before hitting that submit button.

Thank you sweet poison

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My god, does Apple think every user is a complete technical moron??

I have been a PC tech/network admin for years but have never owned a Mac or any Apple product other than my 10 year old daughters ipod touch (I'm beginning to think she must be a typical Apple user)

How do users put up with this cr@p?? I mean seriously, you have to jailbreak the POS to do a function so basic as set a default browser??

As soon as I started using Perfect Browser, I knew I had no more use for the much too basic Safari. I didn't think much of that, I knew I couldn't uninstall Safari but I figured of course I could set PB as the fefault (I can't EVER remember a time that wasn't possible in any PC). Well, nope: Apple won't allow that, I guess they are too afraid of the users breaking the thing...........

~John

I'm a college mathematics instructor, computer programmer and I love the iPad, it's perfect for 98% of what I want to do and I can get the other 2% with a jail-break if it is such a big deal.

If I want a machine I can control every single thing on I'd buy something that runs Linux-- er. But do I need that on my ipad... nope.
:D

Do research about what you'er buying.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know too many computer techs that love Apple products. My best friend makes a living running computer support for a large company, and used to do computer support for computer support techs. He was building computers before he bought one. He is the one that got me started on Apple products. If you pick a computer because you like to tinker with it, that is fine for the individual. If you are providing tech support, you want a computer that is able to do the job with the minimum of customer complaints. Apple is a consumer computer manufacturer, not a business computer manufacturer. The restrictions on Apple, required to build for business and government, is never going to happen. Imagine a company so successful that it can afford to ignore the biggest players in order to cater to the individuals. Not only that, but they are so good that in some fields they can force the bureaucrats to bypass the usual rules to accomodate individuals with the power to dictate to the process.

That seems to be the biggest problem most people have with Apple. They are used to controlling their own section of the world, but the Apple process is take control of the computer experience. I love the feel of a sports car with a standard transmission and lots of power. The mundain life I have to lead, puts me into a sedan with comfort and room, and an automatic. No clutch leg from long periods of waiting at intersections, or in line at drive thru eateries. No vibrations, noises, and back busting on back roads. I wish I had time to play with a fun car, but my time is precious and I cannot afford the luxury of wasting it.

dorban

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oydesign.com
At the ripe old age of 56, I've been using both Macs and PCs, side-by-side, since the early 80s. I'm typing this on an old Dell Latitude D410, but I greatly prefer working on my MacBook Pro...

I'll add that I'm not a technologist, and one of the things that I appreciate about Apple is how they develop these elegant, super-intuitive, easy-to-use interfaces that appeal to "average" (i.e. "non-technologist") consumers. And whether you love 'em or hate 'em, that aspect has been the cornerstone of Apple's well-deserved success.

Just my two cents. ;-)

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To a point I have to agree with you, I myself hate the locked down characteristics of the iPad also. But this is the way Apple and Steve Jobs have decided things in IOSworld are going to work, I knew this, and accepted it when I bought it.

I've grown up with computers, from the Sinclair Spectrum to PC's, and from that perspective easy to use would not be my first description of the IOS, file handling and the need to use the curse that is iTunes is proof of that. The UI on IOS devices is next to none and the fact that other tablet/hand held devices attempt to emulate it proves that.

The need to use this app and that app in order to carry out some basic tasks though suggests to me that Apple intentionally make things difficult in order to force people into purchasing apps or additional hardware, thereby generating profit. Those Apple centric people will surely disagree with me but my opinion is my opinion.

Because people buy it in the millions doesn't mean its better though, anyone who remembers the Betamax verses VHS video tape standards war has to admit VHS was the better standard, although I guess some people are still arguing that point.

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Simply moving the icon positions does not change the default browser. .

Exactly.

I guess most people here don't even understand the question.

~John

Sir, stop trolling.

Stop lumping the majority of folks onto the side of dingbats and morons. We understand. Some of us even agree with you. But hang around these forums a bit and you'll see that this isn't the typical insult-fest that most forums are.

I am a longtime PC user who is so very happy that the iPad is simplified computing.

Please don't have them add Gigabytes of bloat to the OS so you don't have to click on a different icon to get the browser you prefer.

There are many Win7 Tablets on the way. I suggest you return the Apple product you don't enjoy and wait for them.

Reaction score
My god, does Apple think every user is a complete technical moron??

I have been a PC tech/network admin for years but have never owned a Mac or any Apple product other than my 10 year old daughters ipod touch (I'm beginning to think she must be a typical Apple user)

How do users put up with this cr@p?? I mean seriously, you have to jailbreak the POS to do a function so basic as set a default browser??

As soon as I started using Perfect Browser, I knew I had no more use for the much too basic Safari. I didn't think much of that, I knew I couldn't uninstall Safari but I figured of course I could set PB as the fefault (I can't EVER remember a time that wasn't possible in any PC). Well, nope: Apple won't allow that, I guess they are too afraid of the users breaking the thing...........

~John

Another impulse buyer, another troll thread.

I'm no Apple fanboy but this op is just asking for a fight
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1303657439347.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1303657439347.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Billee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a market for tech devices that are designed as "closed systems". Particularly for people who don't have the knowledge or inclination to customize the way they work.

The iPad was my first Apple product. I knew Apple controlled the software used on it's products, but I didn't know how pervasive the control philosophy was in terms of every aspect of the product. It's like "you are too dumb to make choices so do it our way". It's even reflected in the attitude of their store staff. They have the art of "smiling smugness" down to a fine art.

As soon as a good non-Apple pad is available, I'm gone.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love the closed nature of iOS.
I'm sick to death running free tech help for family and friend's computers. The iPad just works.

No more tarballs, repositories, virus checkers, malware scanners etc..
Instant on/off and it just does what I want with great portability and long battery life.
People get so frustrated when it doesn't work it the way they expect computers should.
We're moving on.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's even reflected in the attitude of their store staff. They have the art of "smiling smugness" down to a fine art.

Seriously? I don't see that at all. This is my first Apple product and my first venture into our local Apple stores. It was amazing! The staff are very friendly and accommodating and I have never seen such customer service ~ anywhere.

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
I love the closed nature of iOS.
I'm sick to death running free tech help for family and friend's computers. The iPad just works.

No more tarballs, repositories, virus checkers, malware scanners etc..
Instant on/off and it just does what I want with great portability and long battery life.
People get so frustrated when it doesn't work it the way they expect computers should.
We're moving on.

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts