What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad takes lomger to charge then ipad2

katt5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone else have the problem of the new iPad taking longer to charge then iPad 2 did

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Although it's not a "problem" per se - yes, the new iPad will take longer to charge than either of the other two. The battery is bigger, so it will take longer...

Marilyn

Jones_jt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although it's not a "problem" per se - yes, the new iPad will take longer to charge than either of the other two. The battery is bigger, so it will take longer...

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn, I was wondering the same thing. Was getting worried there was a problem, It's taking ages to charge but like you say it's not a problem.

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The battery is around 70% higher capacity so yes, it'll take much longer to charge.

I've seen reports of around six hours from totally flat to 100%. Basically, just leave it overnight. Make sure you use the supplied charger rather than a generic one or a PC USB port.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The battery is around 70% higher capacity so yes, it'll take much longer to charge.

I've seen reports of around six hours from totally flat to 100%. Basically, just leave it overnight. Make sure you use the supplied charger rather than a generic one or a PC USB port.

True that. I used to plug my iPad 2 into my computer at night and while it said it was "not charging" it was always full by morning. Not nearly the case with this iPad. I actually had to take the charger out of the box with this iPad.

tOSU

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, just took it off the charger after taking it all the way down to 0%. It took 6 hours and 23 minutes to get back to 100%.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to say that the charging time is a bit more of a nuisance than I originally thought it would be. I feel like I am competing with the charger for time with the ipad. It makes me paranoid about making sure it is on the charger overnight because if it gets forgotten like it happened so often with the first and second gen I have to go without for hours since it is 35 minutes of charging time for every hour of use. Luckily I still have my second gen.

Anyone else finding this hard to get used to?

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found it takes a longtime to charge here also. I had a 12 foot cable on my 10w charger and it takes a lot longer to use that to charge than the standard Apple cable. Obviously there is some power loss.

Forget running it while connected to a 5 W charger it can't keep up and depleted.

I think they should've package this with a 15 W charger.

6mildollarman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Around 6 hours here too, from less than 10% to full charge. This is the first device in a looooong time that I have to leave it overnight to charge. It's not that bad though considering it holds its charge quite well.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
I have to say that the charging time is a bit more of a nuisance than I originally thought it would be. I feel like I am competing with the charger for time with the ipad. It makes me paranoid about making sure it is on the charger overnight because if it gets forgotten like it happened so often with the first and second gen I have to go without for hours since it is 35 minutes of charging time for every hour of use. Luckily I still have my second gen.

Anyone else finding this hard to get used to?

At home its not a problem, but on my last vacation the hotel had just one empty plug that had to share my razor, my iPhone, my iPad and my digital camera. I had to unplug a light just to be able to charge everything. With new iPad it it will be a little bit more of a challenge if there aren't enough plugs. I can't complain too much though, I still remember my original cell phone with a battery that had one hour of talk time and only 24 hours of standby, talk about a PITA if I forgot to charge it over night.

shahie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
remember, slow charge is always the best method for the benefits of it's battery capacity and it's life span. i'm using my iphone charger (rated at 1Amp - took 12 to 14 hours to get the full charge and charge it for overnight) as compare to ipad charger rated at 2.5Amp

Sent from my iPad HD using Tapatalk HD

Most reactions

Latest posts