New ipad mini

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by ladymindful, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ladymindful

ladymindful
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I bought a new iPad mini with twice the memory. The data transfer was from a backup n September. I noticed that my iCloud did a backup the other day. How canI use that backup when I already used the one from September. Would I delete that & start again?

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You'd have to erase all content and settings, and when you set up your device again, you'll be able to use this backup to restore it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure I understand. Was the newer backup was does by the new iPad, or the old.

If the old iPad, and you want to restore from it, then Johanna has already answered the question.

If the new backup was done from the new iPad Mini, then it is using that backup. The old one, from your old iPad, will hang around in your account, without updating, unless/until you delete it.

4. ladymindful

ladymindful
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. Deleted older update from new ipad & installed the one from 1/30-15. My problem now is 4 apps that aren't installing. I keep tapping, they say waiting and nothing happens. Any suggestions?

5. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When I install a back-up, I sometimes get the same as you - apps don't load onto the iPad. My solution (the only one I've found) is to delete the app from the iPad and then re-download it "fresh" from the AppStore. I don't know why they don't load, but deleting and re-installing has always worked for me.

Maybe try that?

Marilyn

6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Restarting the iPad will sometimes restart an app that's failing to download; especially after restoring from an iCloud backup. Make sure the iPad has plenty of battery or is plugged into power, and be patient. It can take a while, especially with larger apps.

7. hahahaha

hahahaha
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    If the new backup was done from the new iPad Mini, then it is using that backup. The old one, from your old iPad, will hang around in your account, without updating, unless/until you delete it.?

8. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There are always the last three backups available to restore from in iCloud. The older backups are deleted automatically. If a device isn't backed up to iCloud for more than 180 days, the available backups will be removed as well.

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    When did that happen? I've never seen anything but the most recent backup for each device.

10. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen this when I set up my iPad Air in January last year, as far as I remember, and my iPhone in November. You can also find it on one of the Apple Support sites. I've stumbled upon it when I posted the above, but I didn't save the site.

I always use my iCloud backups for restoring.