What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad case compatibility?

thegreatone3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will iPad 2 cases work on the 3rd-gen iPad? All new cases coming? Haven't seen any confirmation. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ChrisP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking at the tech specs and dimensions, some of the slip on or corner hold cases may fit....I know I am holding onto my Cyber Acoustics Folio to try with my new iPAd...

The new unit is a little bit thicker, so I would suspect that the form fitting cases that clip onto the back cover in all likelihood will need to be updated.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
What I've read and heard suggests iPad 2 cases are compatible. The camera, buttons, speaker, antenna are in the same place.
The new device is 0.6mm deeper and 50 grams heavier.
An article on CNET notes Targus has shipped iPad "3rd generation" cases and iPad 2's fit well in them.

AA

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Otterbox told me their iPad 2 Defender case WILL NOT fit the New iPad.
There new Defender WILL fit the iPad 2 and New iPad.

SquiderDragon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Otterbox told me their iPad 2 Defender case WILL NOT fit the New iPad.
There new Defender WILL fit the iPad 2 and New iPad.
Pity I had not checked your post earlier :(. I had ordered but at least can return. I guess the additional thickness is the reason. Pity I will need to wait and I guess it will be a while before the new case is available in UK. Despite there being a UK Otterbox web address it is basically a redirect to ordering from the US site. The international delivery cost on top of the high end price makes it a bit too expensive. They are great cases though in general so hope there is UK locally sourced stock soon.

bzbmum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Griffintechnology told me that their Survivor cover for iPad 2 will fit the new iPads as well. On their website Survivor military-duty case for iPad 2 & iPad 3 - Griffin Technology , they are selling the same exact case for iPad 2 & 3rd generation.

survivor-ipad2-3.jpgsurvivor-ipad2-2.jpgsurvivor-ipad2-k-1.jpg

Last edited:

jimmyn15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some cases will work but some will not. I don't think the hard plastic cases will. You should look for cases the specifically saids works with iPad 3.

Gayle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What company makes the best clear, hard, back case that will work with the smart cover? I want to stalk them until the release for the new iPad. ;)

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What company makes the best clear, hard, back case that will work with the smart cover? I want to stalk them until the release for the new iPad. ;)

SwitchEasy is the best for that purpose IMO.

McTablet_T2C

iPF Noob
Reaction score

look for Carbon fiber ones. i just saw a mach3composites, super nice

We just got one for review here in the office, review coming soon. but i can tell you its very nice, smart cover compatible, and im getting one for my self :)

theone28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As many of stated gel or bumper type cases may or may not fit on the new ipad coming out. I've heard for the most part, book type cover cases for the iPad 2 should fit the iPad 3. I got my iPad leather Cover from a smaller company that deals with custom leather covers and their covers will fit the new ipad coming out. MODERATOR EDIT: no external links

ipad-cover-musical-elephant-1-s.jpgipad2-leather-cover-fox-1-sw.jpgipad3-leather-case-autumn-tree-1-s.jpgipad-cover-inside-1-sw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts