What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New IPad Air 2 issue

M

moparherb

just got a new iPad air 2 and I did a backup on my iPad air first. Then I told the new iPad to use the cloud to setup. Well the new iPad had ios 8.? so it would not setup because the cloud backup was with iOS 8.2. So I decided to set it up without the cloud and then I decided to update the software to 8.2. It's been doing that for 4 hours now and it looks like it's only half done. If I get the iOS upgrade to work how do I set the new iPad with the cloud info so all my apps and settings are there?

OP
M

moparherb

Where do I find restore. Should I reset the iPad Air 2 like it was new and start again?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Where do I find restore. Should I reset the iPad Air 2 like it was new and start again?

Exactly. The reason it failed the first time is that you can not restore a backup on a newer version of iOS to a older version. Mostly because there is no way for Apple to have predicted what changes would be made between version. Once the iPad is on the new version, it should restore as intended.

It is possible to restore a new iOS version from and older version's backup (up to a point), since Apple knows what changes it's made and can compensate.

OP
M

moparherb

Well IOS 8.2 finally installed (about six hours) and I reset the new IPad and now it is starting from the iCloud backup. This says it will take about five hours.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If iOS 8.2 took that long to install, expect the restore to take a while too. The initial restore will probably happen fairly quickly, but the apps will take longer. Don't be discouraged if they seem to be taking a long time. They'll all look gray at first, and one by one become solid and usable. If it stalls out when restoring the apps, just restart the iPad and it should resume app installations. Might take a couple of cycles if you have a lot of apps. It took me almost a day and a half for every app I had to be reinstalled. I had a lot, and a few very large ones.

(do not restart the iPad while the initial part of the restore is happening, or you'll end up starting from the beginning, if you're lucky)

OP
M

moparherb

Well I went to bed at 10:30 eastern time in the states and this morning at 6:00 everything is done and the iPad is running fine. If I work with all my apps for a few days, is it then alright to reset the old iPad so that I can sell it? Anything I should be aware of before resetting the old iPad? Thanks for all the moral support. It would seem that most customers who are upgrading to a new iPad would have to go thru this because most retailers will not have iPads with IOS 8.2 on it.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I went to bed at 10:30 eastern time in the states and this morning at 6:00 everything is done and the iPad is running fine. If I work with all my apps for a few days, is it then alright to reset the old iPad so that I can sell it? Anything I should be aware of before resetting the old iPad? Thanks for all the moral support. It would seem that most customers who are upgrading to a new iPad would have to go thru this because most retailers will not have iPads with IOS 8.2 on it.
Turn off Find my iPad on your old iPad before you erase everything (Settings - iCloud), just to make sure it's not connected to your iCloud ID any more.

Most reactions

Latest posts