What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad 4

Patrick9654

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be getting the new Ipad on Christmas. I know I made Santa's good list. I will be giving my Ipad 3 to my son. Please let me know if I get this next part right. After I reset the Ipad I am giving to my son, all I need to do is put my ITunes account name and password on my new Ipad and it will load all my apps and music that I originally had and he can put his apple I'd and password onto that Ipad and sync it his with ITunes account. Does that all sound correct?
Thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will be getting the new Ipad on Christmas. I know I made Santa's good list. I will be giving my Ipad 3 to my son. Please let me know if I get this next part right. After I reset the Ipad I am giving to my son, all I need to do is put my ITunes account name and password on my new Ipad and it will load all my apps and music that I originally had and he can put his apple I'd and password onto that Ipad and sync it his with ITunes account. Does that all sound correct?
Thanks

Almost....first you need to do a backup to your PC or to iCloud. I suggest an encrypted backup, so as to preserve all of your passwords, etc. Then you can reset it and give it to your son. Next you can start your new iPad, but tell it you want to restore from backup rather than setup the iPad as new. Then it will restore your backup. Lots of apps have to be redownloaded...and any music you had on there might not be restored. I know any PDFs you put in iBooks won't be, but anything you bought from iTunes will be restored. In my experience, something always happens that you don't quite expect (maybe I'm just too dumb to understand what gets backed up and what doesn't), but be prepared for some adjustments on the other side. Doing the encrypted, password protected back up means less work, though, just use an easy-to-remember password. The rest of what you said is correct, afaik.

Patrick9654

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think we will both be excited to play with our new "toys". I will probably do that this weekend and do without for a couple weeks. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think we will both be excited to play with our new "toys". I will probably do that this weekend and do without for a couple weeks. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

Yes.

Remember, anything you have purchased can be redownloaded..but things that are created by apps, even games, have to be backed up. iTunes won't back us songs from your iTunes library, so stuff like that usually has to be restored. I used to transfer PDFs to iBooks to read them...last time I did a backup/restores, none of those PDFs were backed up by iBooks. Luckily, I backed up my iPad 3 and restored to my iPad mini, so I didn't lose anything...but you could lose something since you are going to a new devices from an old one...

Thinking that out, I suggest you back up your iPad 3, keep it, restore to your iPad 4, inspect all your stuff, and only after you have confirmed that everything got transferred and you are not missing anything you want, only then should you reset your iPad 3 and hand it over to your son. The extra effort will ensure you don't lose anything you want. You can go to Apple's website and look up info about backup and restore to get a better understanding...but it seems rather complex to me. It is a good idea to spend time when you can learning the ins and outs of backup and restore. Getting a new iPad 4 and handing over the iPad 3 (which is still new) is an excellent opportunity to get a good look into how it works.

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE: I have been using my new ipad most of the day and my battery is still at 60% so I DO notice the longer battery life!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is the same on my iPad 3rd generation and our iPad is on 7/24 we charge maybe at night brightness is at 50%

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk in Australia

acdcking12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went from a 3 to a 4. I noticed that most games loaded a lot faster. And I also noticed that the walking dead game was completely smooth. My 3 normally stuttered when I first loaded it. So all in all, very happy with the upgrade.

Most reactions

Latest posts