1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

New ipad 4

Discussion in 'iPad 4 Forum' started by applechick, Dec 1, 2012.

1. applechick

applechick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    So I broke down and got an ipad 4- white wifi only 64gb. I'm a little disappointed because the only real difference I notice between this and my ipad3 is the charging port. I'm a little disappointed! Am I missing something? (Please say I am!!)
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    What were you expecting? The differences were discussed here a lot and advise was given in regards to whether one should do the upgrade.

I assume you had an iPad 3?

In order to see a difference, you need to find a game where the iPad 3 was not able to update the screen quickly enough. In theory, for these games, the iPad 4 should be able to do a better job than the iPad 3.

If you have goodreader, open up a PDF scanned at 300 dpi. On the iPad 3, these can be very slow to update the screen and you get this checkboard pattern on the screen if you scroll the pages too fast. I hope the iPad 4 will do better at this...though, for me, this alone is not enough reason for me to update.

The charging connector is really nice.

Supposedly, wifi is faster...but....and supposedly it has better battery life than the 3.
  3. applechick

applechick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I'm not sure what I was expecting. Most of the forums I read people seemed to be thrilled with their new ipad4. The only reason I got one is because I'm gifting my 3 to my son for Xmas. I have only had it for less than 24 hours so I'm hoping as time goes on i will notice the change.

Ps I'm sure the fact that I have been having wifi problems at home doesn't help. I've been tethering my iphone5....

I will open my reader and compare, thanks for the tip!
  4. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Well, since you were gifting your 3, then you did good. I would have done exactly the same. If you ask me, unless you have docks that need replacing because of the new connector, I'd rather have an iPad with the lightning connector than one with the 30 pin connector. Just that alone would be enough to keep me happy (but not anywhere near enough to upgrade).

So, what's up with the wifi problem? I never have any wifi problems...I have the new mini...what router do you have?
  5. buerkletucson

buerkletucson iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Give it some time......I definitely noticed a difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4.
    Web browsing, games, and graphics intensive apps. Not huge but a noticeable improvement.

I agree with AQ_OC.....mine always connects right up and is lightning fast. Seems a lot of members having WiFi issues on these forums.
    I have a ton of stuff on my network also, including 3 security cameras constantly streaming video.
  6. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    This guy makes clear how the 4th gen iPad compares to the 3rd gen iPad. (both iPad have dual band wifi support).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  7. buerkletucson

buerkletucson iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    That was awesome!
    Especially the hair comparison....good humor. :D
  8. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Yeah, I enjoy that guy...he's a vlogger....his wife helps him. They are both entertaining.
  9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    That's like getting a faster car and driving down the same old rutted, winding road. Fix your road if you want to get the most out of your car. Otherwise, you might as well have kept the old car.
  10. applechick

applechick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Haha!!!!! I am switching from DSL and getting cable in a week so until then I have to just be patient!
  11. applechick

applechick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
  12. applechick

applechick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    How is the new mini? Only thing holding me back is lack of retina....
  13. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Well, I'm a big fan of Retina...but the portability of the mini is also a big winner. YMMV, but I'm not having problems with the screen....and I have an iPad 3, an Asus Infinity Pad (1920 x 1200 screen) and a Nexus 7 to which to compare. Some people are just a bit more inflexible with some things than others.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  14. scott_R1

scott_R1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    You buy a new iPad too often, that's the problem. I just got an iPad 4 but I went from version 1 to 4. If you do it like I did you will notice a huge difference and be very pleased.
  15. applechick

applechick iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Think the retina screen will come with the next generation mini?
  16. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will be getting the new Ipad on Christmas. I know I made Santa's good list. I will be giving my Ipad 3 to my son. Please let me know if I get this next part right. After I reset the Ipad I am giving to my son, all I need to do is put my ITunes account name and password on my new Ipad and it will load all my apps and music that I originally had and he can put his apple I'd and password onto that Ipad and sync it his with ITunes account. Does that all sound correct?
    Thanks
  17. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Almost....first you need to do a backup to your PC or to iCloud. I suggest an encrypted backup, so as to preserve all of your passwords, etc. Then you can reset it and give it to your son. Next you can start your new iPad, but tell it you want to restore from backup rather than setup the iPad as new. Then it will restore your backup. Lots of apps have to be redownloaded...and any music you had on there might not be restored. I know any PDFs you put in iBooks won't be, but anything you bought from iTunes will be restored. In my experience, something always happens that you don't quite expect (maybe I'm just too dumb to understand what gets backed up and what doesn't), but be prepared for some adjustments on the other side. Doing the encrypted, password protected back up means less work, though, just use an easy-to-remember password. The rest of what you said is correct, afaik.
  18. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    It's guesswork, but I'm hoping so....I'm sure Apple would have that goal.
  19. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback. I think we will both be excited to play with our new "toys". I will probably do that this weekend and do without for a couple weeks. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
  20. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Yes.

Remember, anything you have purchased can be redownloaded..but things that are created by apps, even games, have to be backed up. iTunes won't back us songs from your iTunes library, so stuff like that usually has to be restored. I used to transfer PDFs to iBooks to read them...last time I did a backup/restores, none of those PDFs were backed up by iBooks. Luckily, I backed up my iPad 3 and restored to my iPad mini, so I didn't lose anything...but you could lose something since you are going to a new devices from an old one...

Thinking that out, I suggest you back up your iPad 3, keep it, restore to your iPad 4, inspect all your stuff, and only after you have confirmed that everything got transferred and you are not missing anything you want, only then should you reset your iPad 3 and hand it over to your son. The extra effort will ensure you don't lose anything you want. You can go to Apple's website and look up info about backup and restore to get a better understanding...but it seems rather complex to me. It is a good idea to spend time when you can learning the ins and outs of backup and restore. Getting a new iPad 4 and handing over the iPad 3 (which is still new) is an excellent opportunity to get a good look into how it works.