What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad 4

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I broke down and got an ipad 4- white wifi only 64gb. I'm a little disappointed because the only real difference I notice between this and my ipad3 is the charging port. I'm a little disappointed! Am I missing something? (Please say I am!!)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What were you expecting? The differences were discussed here a lot and advise was given in regards to whether one should do the upgrade.

I assume you had an iPad 3?

In order to see a difference, you need to find a game where the iPad 3 was not able to update the screen quickly enough. In theory, for these games, the iPad 4 should be able to do a better job than the iPad 3.

If you have goodreader, open up a PDF scanned at 300 dpi. On the iPad 3, these can be very slow to update the screen and you get this checkboard pattern on the screen if you scroll the pages too fast. I hope the iPad 4 will do better at this...though, for me, this alone is not enough reason for me to update.

The charging connector is really nice.

Supposedly, wifi is faster...but....and supposedly it has better battery life than the 3.

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I was expecting. Most of the forums I read people seemed to be thrilled with their new ipad4. The only reason I got one is because I'm gifting my 3 to my son for Xmas. I have only had it for less than 24 hours so I'm hoping as time goes on i will notice the change.

Ps I'm sure the fact that I have been having wifi problems at home doesn't help. I've been tethering my iphone5....

I will open my reader and compare, thanks for the tip!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, since you were gifting your 3, then you did good. I would have done exactly the same. If you ask me, unless you have docks that need replacing because of the new connector, I'd rather have an iPad with the lightning connector than one with the 30 pin connector. Just that alone would be enough to keep me happy (but not anywhere near enough to upgrade).

So, what's up with the wifi problem? I never have any wifi problems...I have the new mini...what router do you have?

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Give it some time......I definitely noticed a difference between the iPad 3 and iPad 4.
Web browsing, games, and graphics intensive apps. Not huge but a noticeable improvement.

I agree with AQ_OC.....mine always connects right up and is lightning fast. Seems a lot of members having WiFi issues on these forums.
I have a ton of stuff on my network also, including 3 security cameras constantly streaming video.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This guy makes clear how the 4th gen iPad compares to the 3rd gen iPad. (both iPad have dual band wifi support).

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ps I'm sure the fact that I have been having wifi problems at home doesn't help.

That's like getting a faster car and driving down the same old rutted, winding road. Fix your road if you want to get the most out of your car. Otherwise, you might as well have kept the old car.

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
That's like getting a faster car and driving down the same old rutted, winding road. Fix your road if you want to get the most out of your car. Otherwise, you might as well have kept the old car.

Haha!!!!! I am switching from DSL and getting cable in a week so until then I have to just be patient!

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Well, since you were gifting your 3, then you did good. I would have done exactly the same. If you ask me, unless you have docks that need replacing because of the new connector, I'd rather have an iPad with the lightning connector than one with the 30 pin connector. Just that alone would be enough to keep me happy (but not anywhere near enough to upgrade).

So, what's up with the wifi problem? I never have any wifi problems...I have the new mini...what router do you have?

How is the new mini? Only thing holding me back is lack of retina....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How is the new mini? Only thing holding me back is lack of retina....

Well, I'm a big fan of Retina...but the portability of the mini is also a big winner. YMMV, but I'm not having problems with the screen....and I have an iPad 3, an Asus Infinity Pad (1920 x 1200 screen) and a Nexus 7 to which to compare. Some people are just a bit more inflexible with some things than others.

Last edited:

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You buy a new iPad too often, that's the problem. I just got an iPad 4 but I went from version 1 to 4. If you do it like I did you will notice a huge difference and be very pleased.

OP
applechick

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Well, I'm a big fan of Retina...but the portability of the mini is also a big winner. YMMV, but I'm not having problems with the screen....and I have an iPad 3, an Asus Infinity Pad (1920 x 1200 screen) and a Nexus 7 to which to compare. Some people are just a bit more inflexible with some things than others.

Think the retina screen will come with the next generation mini?

Most reactions