NEW iPad...2

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by billpool, Jan 3, 2011.

1. billpool

billpool iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm.....that guy is assuming an awful lot. That point with the USB Port will not be true though....got a feeling about that.
  3. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Wow, some major speculations on that 7 things article. I won't even mention the horrible grammer in the article. But come on....standard USB port would mean the ability to install drivers, either by the user or by apple...they are not interested in either. Camera...maybe...but the iPod Touch took 4 gens to finally get one! Carrier choice...well if that happens your choice will be ATT or Verizon. The screen on the iPad is the same screen as is on HP's $2500 Dream Color display....good luck making it better quality. They may slightly alter the body...but I think it feels great...so I don't thing its needed...again, total speculation. Someone needs to visit the App store more...there is already photo and video editing software avialable for the iPad.

Dual Core proc??? Not a chance! One of the key features of the iPad is battery life....add a second proc and that goes down the drain. Also there is NO way that a product that is still in its infancy and is gradually gaining a HEAVY iPad 1G user base would alienate everyone in a single generation! Apple's MO is second gen products add more memory and nothing more....3rd gen will get a beefier proc and maybe more memory and 4th gen is a redux while phasing out first gen.

My speculation tho is that 2g will have more storage space and maybe cameras (not holding breath). After that the MacPad will be released as a Dual Core 8 Hour battery with Mac OSX Lion (basically a MBA without a keyboard)...at that point I don't really care where the iPad goes since I won't be using one anymore.
  4. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    1) Grammar not "grammer" ;)

2) A dual core processor does not equal dual processors. The second core wouldn't even be used until it was needed, so it wouldn't reduce battery life for the most part. I too doubt that they will use a dual core CPU, but they might and it would open up the ability to run more powerful apps. The nVidia Tegra 2 dual core CPU is going to be used in many of the upcoming Android tablets. Apple could easily use one of these or from another source to keep ahead of the game.

3) The front facing camera is coming, it would go against their marketing scheme for FaceTime if they didn't include it in the new iPad 2, so it's a near certainty at this point.

4) If you think they are coming with a MacPad soon, how do you think they will price it? I think it's going to be difficult to fit in anywhere in the pricing structure. $499 gets you a basic iPad but a 64GB 3G runs about $900, which is right at the starting point for MacBooks. So if they came out with a MacPad, they would have to directly compete with one of their current products or drop something. I'm having difficulty even speculating how they would do it.
  5. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    A USB port on the iPad is pretty much a no. There is no way apple would want a USB port on it.
  6. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually they are being FORCED to do so thank to Europe. Now that is not saying that ALL versions will have it....maybe just the European versions.
  7. USBill

USBill iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The article has its share of factual errors on things as they are, so it's hard to put too much stock in the predictions.

Adding a USB port won't ensure that devices are supported. Apple will still have to allow software to support the devices, or provide drivers. The fact that an update took away some unsupported USB devices already shows that.

The bit about the current iPad only supporting ATT and Verizon MiFi indicates the writer doesn't understand what Verizon offers. They bundle their personal Hotspot with a stock WiFi iPad. You can do the same thing with a Sprint personal WiFi or a Evo 4G phone.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  8. USBill

USBill iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I expect cameras in the next edition. If I were doing a mock up I'd put a rotating camera that could be front or back spacing depending on use.

I can't imagine taking pictures with a iPad but I bet FaceTime would be a killer app. Between business conferencing and social networks the WANT factor would go through the roof.