What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 2 user with many questions.

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
using with Windows 7
IOS 4.3.5 & ITunes 10.4.80

1. I have Pages on the Pad. I chose "send to iTunes" - I dont see my doc in iTunes.
2. Can I add lines to a documents so it looks like lined paper?
3. How do I stop Pages from adding numbers when starting a list and I want to resume without listing?

4. Mail App question. What do the icons in upper right mean? see jpg from a screen shot I found on line.

5. On the Home page of the Pad - can I:
a. Rename an App?
b. Move an App to a spot I want? the iPad seems to move to the last
avail spot.
c. I heard there is a way to add a folder (say "Travel") so all related
travel apps in one folder.

6. Finally (I think) I copied photos & movies (h264) from my PC to a USB and SD card - none are visable and importable when I insert into the iPad (using the connectivity adapter). Is there a way - or only thru syncing via iTunes.

Thanks - and apologies for a loaded post.

Attachments

• icons.jpg
    icons.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 353
OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - yea not sure which post/forum appropriate as sooo many questions.

Can't wait for answers to pour in.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
I use an app called Paper Desk to have lined pages
To create a folder drag/drop a related app on top of another. It creates a folder and you can change its name by tapping the name and deleting the text and insert the name you want.
Yes you can rearrange the apps but no open spots are available,so you are correct in that regard
In the mail app from left to right, where to move the email, trash can, forward/reply/etc , create an email
Hope that helps

---
- Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my iTablet

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum - :)

You've asked a LOT of different questions, some related to Pages and others to the Home Screen, etc.

You might want to 'break' these down into separate categories and try a search, e.g. there are plenty of threads/posts on business apps, including Pages. Once your needs are defined and unanswered by a search, then go ahead and leave a new post(s) in the appropriate forum(s). You will likely get more responses in separate directed threads than the potpourri of questions listed here.

Good luck - there is outstanding help here!

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
using with Windows 7

1. I have Pages on the Pad. I chose "send to iTunes" - I dont see my doc in iTunes.
3. How do I stop Pages from adding numbers when starting a list and I want to resume without listing?

4. Mail App question. What do the icons in upper right mean? see jpg from a screen shot I found on line.

a. Rename an App?
avail spot.

6. Finally (I think) I copied photos & movies (h264) from my PC to a USB and SD card - none are visable and importable when I insert into the iPad (using the connectivity adapter). Is there a way - or only thru syncing via iTunes.

I can help with some. You can't rename an app but you can, as you said, put a group of apps into one folder and name that folder whatever you want. Just push down on an app until they all jiggle then drag one you want in a folder over top of another you want in that folder and let go. You'll get a bar across the screen with the apps in it along with a suggested title for the folder. To change the title just touch in the grey line and bring up the keyboard. Delete the suggested title and change it to whatever you want.

You can move the icons around as well. Again, they need to be jiggling first. Then just use your finger to move them around. For some reason sometimes it seems to take more finesse than others. They're kinda like a Rubik's Cube in that when you displace them they move in tandem so you have to play with them a bit to get them to go just where you want. Just make sure when you move one to put it between two others so they don't combine into one folder.

At least that's the way I do it. Someone else may have a simpler way.:)

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys -

Mountainbikermark - turns the photo not exactly what I have.
I dont have the trash can- what I have is what looks like a cube with an arrow on top & pointing down.
Is that also a trash can ?

giradman - tried the search, do not see any posts on the connectivity adapter.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
using with Windows 7

a. Rename an App?
avail spot.

I can help with a few of these.

1) With the iPad connected to the computer, select it under the Devices list in iTunes, then choose Apps from the top of the screen. Scroll down to the File Share section and select Pages from the list of apps there. You'll see all the files you exported to iTunes. You can also copy files here to the computer for importing in Pages. You will only see them in Pages after you import them. You do this by creating a new document and selecting the import form iTunes option.

2) Some app can do this, some can't. I don't believe there is any way to do this in Pages, except to add a large picture, zoom it way out, and send it to the background. Very messy.

3) You can change the type of list bullets by taping the 'i' icon at the top, choosing List, and changing the type. Choices are bullet, image, lettered, and numbered. To change a list that is already numbered select the list, then change then go to the List options and change them. To get it to stop adding list items go to the List options and choose None.

4) I believe this was answered, but in reference to a later questions, the box and arrow icon is normally referred to the Share icon. It usually (but on always) contains options like email, print, post to face books, or other options that send information out of the app. It is a common icon in many apps. If you don't have a trash icon, you probably have an archive icon that looks a bit like a some folders. This sends your email to an archive folder instead of to the trash. The only account type I've seen this show up for is GMail. You can turn it off (and get a regular trash options) by going into your account settings and turning off the archive feature. In GMail, the archive options sends your mail to the All Mail folder.

5) Answered already I believe.

6) To import photos to the iPad using the CCK (Camera Connection Kit) the SD card must be properly formatted. This usually means that there is a DCMI folder on the card. To be sure, just format the card in a camera. Most pictures will import fine if they are in this folder, and the file name is less than 8 characters. RAW files are less predictable, because the is no one standard. Most will work, but you may only see the imbedded jpg file, if it exists.

Video files are harder. The iPad only recognizes a few formats, and they must be set up with the right parameters. View the iPad spec page for what it (should) recognize.

Apple - iPad 2 - View the technical specifications for iPad 2.

You can import a far larger variety of videos through iTunes, since it will convert most formats for you. For importing video that iTunes won't do you can try OPlayer. It does a pretty good job. A combination of GoodReader to copy files to the iPad (a plethora of options in GoodReader) and using Open In to copy them to OPlayer will work with most common file types.

OP
S

sethm1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow - thanks.

So GoodReader is not just for PDF's.

Regarding OPlayer - I gather you would suggest the HD version? Is it backwards compatible? Meaning, I don't need the Regular & HD versions?

Regarding Open In - silly question, but I gather thats a command - not a App/software?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoodReader is a jack of many trades. It excels at PDFs, but does quite a few other things, like mail multiple photos, browse and download from the internet, connect to WebDAV, DropBox, and other file servers, create and edit basic text files, and much more. Before you buy a new app to do something once or twice, always dig through GoodReader to make sure you can't do it that way first.

Yes, get the OPlayer HD version of the app. The iPhone version would work , but not look as nice.

Open In... is a feature that many apps support. It is usually found under the share icon (looks like a box with an arrow coming out of it). Most apps (newer ones anyway) register the file types they can handle with the OS. When you use Open In... in one app it will list all the other apps (up to 10) that can read that file. You select the app you want and a copy of the file is placed in the target app's file space.

This is the main way you move files around on the iPad. It does not have a general file space where you can place files and open them with any app. Each app is isolated from the others. It makes for good security, but can occasionally make getting files into the app you want a challenge.

It is also why DropBox is so popular. You can store a file on DropBox, and access it either with the DropBox's Open In... feature, or directly from the many apps the have DropBox support (like GoodReader).

Most reactions