What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 2 Q: Can I add good navigation?

Fat Tony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently got a 64GB white iPad 2 this week (yay). This is NOT the 3G.

I noticed the navigation isn't so hot on this thing and I was wondering if there is a way to make it function like a GPS with really good accuracy. Currently my phone (andriod, I know, I am evil) is an awesome GPS device and I was hoping that this iPad would be as good.

I want to use this in my car as the main GPS and radio, ipod, etc. But without accurate GPS, I can't get myself to spend money to mount it in the car.

Any help is appreciated.

Can I hook up a GPS antenna? I found a BU-353 which is a USB GPS antenna, but I don't know how to hook up a USB device to the iPad 2. Any advice?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid the WiFi-only iPad does not have GPS. GPS and 3G have similar radio frequency electronics and so they share common circuitry on the 3G iPad. So GPS is not present in the WiFi-only model. However, the WiFi model does try to give some sort of location capability by using a central database of WiFi hotspot locations. However, this is certainly not very accurate - as you have noticed - and will only work when the iPad is in range of a WiFi signal - so out in rural areas there will be no navigational capability. There are a few standalone GPS receivers that can be connected to the iPad - they are available on Amazon and cost about $100 each.

Tim

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, you can hook up a GPS antenna. As for connecting it you can just use Elmer's and glue the antenna cable to a convenient spot on your iPad. Without a 3G connection, you won't have a continuous fix on your location so your iPad can't do what your android phone can do.

Edit: I see a previous poster provided a much more informative response. No offense meant by mine. :)

Last edited:
OP
F

Fat Tony

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I messed up by not buying the 3G unit. I know a USB GPS antenna will do the trick I just can't figure out how to hook up the USB to the iPad.

koonas444

iPF Noob
Reaction score
magellan is a good company to buy from, but if you have a laptop, there are gps plug-ins that cost less than $100.

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's only one supported USB gps - Bad Elf. There's two Bluetooth gps units supported - GNS 5870 & XGPS150. I have xgps150 and it works great.

bikernick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wi-fi only is not supported. Unless you have a wireless router in your car! lol

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's only one supported USB gps - Bad Elf. There's two Bluetooth gps units supported - GNS 5870 & XGPS150. I have xgps150 and it works great.

These gps receivers are the only way to add gps to your WIFI ipad2. I know several pilots that have either the GNS 5870 or the XGPS150. Both are WAAS gps receivers, which means the are better then the built in GPS.

If I were to pick one I would get the XGPS150 as it will work with non apple products as well, and it does not have a screwy on off switch like the 5870.

Hitchemup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Loaded tomtom for about $85 aud which you can share over I think up to 7 or so devices. Works well. What I am having trouble with is buying an iPad 2 holder that stands inside the built in cup holder in the console. Anyone know of an Australian outlet?

bill_d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i use a XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth for gps works will so far with tomtom and roadmate and navfree

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you bought the wrong model

That one will not get you GPS navigation. Which is OK anyway as it might be a bit awkward suction cupped to your windshield.

Most reactions