What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 2 owner and new to apple need app advice

Yac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the best app for running word, excel and PowerPoint

What is the best app for watching movies that are avi's and mpeg4

ALcH3Mi5T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Airvideo to stream my movies over 3G and wifi. I don't have any movies locally on my iPad. It even converts formats on the fly including avi, mpeg, and mkv. Awesome app. If you want a local one directly on your pad I'd try vlc.

chevyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For videos, Air Vidoe is a great one to stream. 2 things to keep in mind when streaming with Air Video, 1.) If the video is in a format that the iPAd supports, it requires very little processor power to stream. 2.) If you have to use convert on the fly, it will use 100% or close to it on the CPU.

For playing videos on the iPad itself, hands down would be AVPlayerHD, in my opinion. It will play 720p .mkv files flawlessly, as well as .avi, .mp4 and so on. So far I've no issues with it what so ever.

Hope this helps ya out.

Phil

ALcH3Mi5T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chevyguy said:
For videos, Air Vidoe is a great one to stream. 2 things to keep in mind when streaming with Air Video, 1.) If the video is in a format that the iPAd supports, it requires very little processor power to stream. 2.) If you have to use convert on the fly, it will use 100% or close to it on the CPU.

For playing videos on the iPad itself, hands down would be AVPlayerHD, in my opinion. It will play 720p .mkv files flawlessly, as well as .avi, .mp4 and so on. So far I've no issues with it what so ever.

Hope this helps ya out.

Phil

I'll have to try that player out as well.

Air video also has an option to convert the video file before you stream it. I think most movies take about 20-30 minutes to convert. The converted one will have air video in the file name so you can easily delete it later and still have the original.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

casler0512

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Air Vidoe is a great one to stream. 2 things to keep in mind when streaming with Air Video, 1.) If the video is in a format that the iPAd supports, it requires very little processor power to stream. 2.) If you have to use convert on the fly, it will use 100% or close to it on the CPU.

Vichon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the best app for running word, excel and PowerPoint

What is the best app for watching movies that are avi's and mpeg4

There are several posts mentioned that serve - I like Docs to Go and Quick Office HD for slightly differing reasons and I know Apple's Pages, Numbers and Keynote have a lot of fans - all provide "limited" compatibility! For simple editing, simple formatting, they are all very good and it greatly depends on your personal choices for an interface. If you want to bring complex docs over (i.e. heavily formatted, imbedded tables, ole objects, foreign (mixed) languages, and symbols) be prepared to have them either not show up, show up incorrectly, or in my opinion the worst be stripped out of the saved revisions, regardless of handling. I think Docs to Go or the Apple suite come closest, but with updates that changes rapidly.

For video, I like the inbuilt Video App fine and use an external converter and ripper to create iPad formats.

You didn't mention it, but I'll mention Good Reader for PDF's - very complete and accurate tool.

ALcH3Mi5T

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chevyguy said:

Hope this helps ya out.

Phil

I just tried the avplayerhd on your suggestion and I am pleasantly surprised. Just the right amount of options as to not be over bearing and played the formats I tested flawlessly. It was so easy to transfer as well using the built in wifi option. Excellent, and an easy five stars. Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts