What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 2 Mock-Ups Surface with Much Thinner Body and Big Speaker Grill

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad2-mock-up.JPG

The speculation about the actual existence of the iPad 2 may now be over following Apple’s issuing of invites today to its launch event next week, but that doesn’t mean that all the feverish speculation has to stop! We’ve got one more week of endless musings about possible features for the new iPad, as well as how it will look, how much it will weigh, and so on. Hoping to answer a couple of those questions, 9to5 Mac has posted some new mock-ups of the iPad 2, obtained from a Japanese blog. The pictures of the mock-ups show that the iPad 2, if the mock-ups are accurate, is slightly smaller and much thinner (and presumably lighter) than the first iPad, with a flat back, and that the speaker grill is much larger than the current one, extending over the back of the device. You can also clearly see the location of the dual cameras, the back-facing one in the top left-hand corner, and the front-facing one in the middle of the screen at the top.

Source: New iPad 2 mockups purport to show thinner body, speaker grill | 9 to 5 Mac New iPad 2 mockups purport to show thinner body, speaker grill | Apple Intelligence

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
the only reason I might get one would be good FaceTime,but that would seem unlikely due to screen size.

pcimaging

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I think the addition of a larger speaker is a definate plus. I know it is needed because when I am alone and want to listen or watch news and videos I would prefer to not be using headphones. That grille pictured may or may not be accurate but I would be fine with it if it works as I hope.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
NumbLock said:
Hm. I'm not loving that speaker grill.

If it produces better sound...who cares? :)

Isn't that why we pay a premium for apple products?Slick design?

If it plays Flash, who cares if it crashes?

If it can multitask,who cares if it slows down?

If it has twice the battery life,who cares if it is heavier/thicker?

Just sayin'

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the new iPads speaker is like that, the sound will suck if the iPad is placed flat on its back

Reaction score
Gunny008 said:
If the new iPads speaker is like that, the sound will suck if the iPad is placed flat on its back

Not necessarily. The speakers in the picture are close towards the edge. So the sound might just reflect of the surface.

Many phones have their speakers on the back and the sound is great when placed on their back, as this forces the sound waves to bounce of the surface towards the user, rather than spreading out spherically when held mid-air.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ~ I would not like smaller or thinner. I LOVE the way the iPad is now. Very much.

So ~ I'm good!

And I thought I would want the second one.

Whew!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh No's the grip of doom will deaden the sound! Quick circle the wagons.
What can apple be thinking?......

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Not necessarily. The speakers in the picture are close towards the edge. So the sound might just reflect of the surface.

Many phones have their speakers on the back and the sound is great when placed on their back, as this forces the sound waves to bounce of the surface towards the user, rather than spreading out spherically when held mid-air.

The closeness of the edge may help but sound will definitely be distorted if you are watching something that is loud and the volume is turned up pretty close to the max.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Gunny008 said:
The closeness of the edge may help but sound will definitely be distorted if you are watching something that is loud and the volume is turned up pretty close to the max.

That happens with any mobile speaker. Even the xooms

Most reactions

Latest posts