What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New in these parts!

craftypepper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am not yet a proud iPad owner, but I am doing my research and preparing for the big day that will hopefully come in a few weeks. Currently I don't own any Apple products, however I have previously owned an iPhone 4 and iPod nano and loved them both. I am returning to Apple for good after having an all around terrible experience with the phone I hastily switched to from the iPhone. My main computer has been a Samsung laptop, but two days ago it died(2 weeks out from the warranty ending!), so I am planning to get an iPad 2 to replace it seeing as how I don't do much of anything on the computer except browse the web, watch movies, do e-mail, take notes, and write the occasional paper(I will be purchasing a stylus and keyboard). I will be getting either a 32 or 64 GB Wifi+3G, but I have not yet decided if I want to go with AT&T or Verizon. I also have a 6 year old Compaq that works just fine when I need it. I am looking forward to learning more and getting to know you all!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome from Mississippi!

Where in central Alabama are you from?

There's lots of friendly and knowledgeable people on here that can answer most any question you have about the iPad, so feel free to ask!

OP
C

craftypepper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there! I was born and raised in Birmingham. I have a lot of family in Meridian, MS, but I'm not familiar with Long Beach. Is it near Biloxi? It does seem very friendly here and I am so excited...I have been burned one too many times by other brands!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You will still need a computer to activate the iPad and get updates, at least until iOS 5 comes out in the Fall. You can get arround this (at least temporarily) if you ask them to activate it in the Apple store when you purchase it.

After iOS 5 you'll be able to get updates straight to the iPad. I suspect that the actuall update to iOS 5 will still require a computer and iTunes.

Welcome to the forum.

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey there! I was born and raised in Birmingham. I have a lot of family in Meridian, MS, but I'm not familiar with Long Beach. Is it near Biloxi? It does seem very friendly here and I am so excited...I have been burned one too many times by other brands!

I was born in Meridian and lived there for about 27 years until grad school led to a job on the coast.

Long Beach is the second town West of Biloxi.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I suspect that the actuall update to iOS 5 will still require a computer and iTunes.

You mean the initial update?

Yes. After all, if wireless updates are built into iOS 5, you still have to get iOS 5 on the iPad before it will work. After it's on the device, if all works as advertised, you will get updates vie Wi-Fi.

They will also be smaller files than we are used to downloading via iTunes. Right now we download the entire new iOS (or so it seems) and replace it. Under iOS 5 few will only have to download the differences (called a delta update), which should make for a much smaller file.

There are also hints that you will only receive the updates and/or sync when the iPad is plugged into a power source, which might seem a bit less convenient, but would insure that the iPad did not shut down in the middle and cause problems.

Most reactions