What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New folder in iPad Mail possible?

wtcoppersmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad mail has 3 folders (Inbox, Sent, and Trash). I would like to create another folder there called "Saved" for emails I don't want to delete for a while. This way I could put them in the Saved folder and unclutter my Inbox folder. Is it possible on an iPad to create an additional folder in the email application?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The mail app itself cannot create folders. But if you make a folder on the mail server then the iPad will show it. So access your email from safari and create a folder there and it should show up in the mail app.

OP
W

wtcoppersmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use hotmail which works well. It already has other folders but they don't show up in Mail on the iPad. So how do I access a "mail sever" to create another folder in my iPad Mail?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats your problem. Microsoft, of course. I used to have a hotmail but switched to gmail because the hotmail servers only worked on Tuesday's, which makes me mad. Gmail is awesome and all my folders show up.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wtcoppersmith said:
I use hotmail which works well. It already has other folders but they don't show up in Mail on the iPad. So how do I access a "mail sever" to create another folder in my iPad Mail?

Mail server is what you use to check your email using any web browser (like mail.hotmail.com). Just do what I did with my Gmail: all mail after reading will be no longer show in my inbox, it's moved the All Mail folder.
I also have my y!Mail working like this.

Go to the web browser, open the mail server (in my case it's mail.yahoo.com) and create a folder named 'Archive' (or 'Saved', or whatever). Then after going through my emails, I select them all and move them to the created folder. There- Done. No more deleting mail.

graywolf said:
Thats your problem. Microsoft, of course. I used to have a hotmail but switched to gmail because the hotmail servers only worked on Tuesday's, which makes me mad. Gmail is awesome and all my folders show up.

Of course, Gmail's so awesome it pwns all other mail providers. Plus, it's so easy with Gmail- I hate other mail providers, especially if they're not as nice as Gmail.

- Sent from my BRAND-NEW iPad 2! :D

Last edited:

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use yahoo mail app on my iPad and it shows all my yahoo mail folders and let's me create new ones.

OP
W

wtcoppersmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I went to a Hotmail forum and found others having the exact same problem. One person even described a way to change my settings such that I would get all of my folders. Instead I may just switch to a Gmail account ( I have one) and just drop Hotmail as my main email account.

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wtcoppersmith said:
Thanks for the help. I went to a Hotmail forum and found others having the exact same problem. One person even described a way to change my settings such that I would get all of my folders. Instead I may just switch to a Gmail account ( I have one) and just drop Hotmail as my main email account.

Good for you! :D And you won't have to delete mail again, since Gmail is auto-set to archive instead of delete. Plus, did you know you get around 7-8 GB of storage (it keeps increasing) to use not only for mail, but for files too? There's to upload your files to Gmail, like Google Docs, but works for all files. I don't know much about it, though.

OP
W

wtcoppersmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And where would I go to put in a setting to tell the server to go ahead and delete email on the server when I delete them in Gmail on my iPad?

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wtcoppersmith said:
When Gmail "archives" mail can I look at the "archives" somehow?

Yeah, when you archive an email, it loses its 'Inbox' label. It will show up in 'All Mail'.

wtcoppersmith said:
And where would I go to put in a setting to tell the server to go ahead and delete email on the server when I delete them in Gmail on my iPad?

It's already set to do that. Everything's automatic- Whatever you do in iOS Mail is automatically mirrored in Gmail.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts