What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New cydia user, but cant use user wallpapers

dedlite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I jailbreakes my IPad2 yesterday, but cant work out how to use a user wallpaper - after downloading a few from cydia, I expect to find them in Settings/ Brightness & wallpapers, but their not, Is there something I have'nt done?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you be specific on which item you downloaded from Cydia and now can't find? I think you may be trying to use a theme versus a wallpaper, in which case the process of getting it to work on your iPad will be different.

If you'll tell us what you are trying to download, we can help better.

Thanks.

Marilyn

P.S. And welcome to the forum! Hope you stick around and visit us for a while...

OP
D

dedlite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hiya there, and thanks for the welcome!

Right then, in Cydia there's a 'wallpaper (ipad)' section, so, let's say, I choose the top one, 'Alice in Wonderland'. I select this, and install it - noŵ what? If I go to settings/wallpaper I can't see it?

Please ignore my noob-ess!

Dale

Coffeeboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just tried downloading a wallpaper, and it ends up in the /Library/Wallpaper folder, not accessible through the background section in settings... I can move them to where I want them through iFile, but, seriously, should you really have to get iFile to use the wallpapers?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a gross generalisation guys, so forgive me, but wallpapers in Cydia are by and large a relic of yesteryear.

In the bad old days, Apple didn't let us mess too much with the iPhone, so adding wallpapers to that list that comes on the device was awesome. Things have moved on significantly since then. You can download a pic from any source and apply it at will...

Many of the wallpapers you come across on Cydia will be designed for the old (pre-retina) iPhones and probably won't end up looking like you wanted (or even appearing in the list)

As I said, this is a gross generalisation, but my honest advice would be ignore the Cydia Wallies. Visit any wallpaper site (we have our own section on here), save them to your camera roll (photos) and apply them. It will save you a lot of heartache trying to apply them through Cydia!

Jaxtah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
This is a gross generalisation guys, so forgive me, but wallpapers in Cydia are by and large a relic of yesteryear.

In the bad old days, Apple didn't let us mess too much with the iPhone, so adding wallpapers to that list that comes on the device was awesome. Things have moved on significantly since then. You can download a pic from any source and apply it at will...

Many of the wallpapers you come across on Cydia will be designed for the old (pre-retina) iPhones and probably won't end up looking like you wanted (or even appearing in the list)

As I said, this is a gross generalisation, but my honest advice would be ignore the Cydia Wallies. Visit any wallpaper site (we have our own section on here), save them to your camera roll (photos) and apply them. It will save you a lot of heartache trying to apply them through Cydia!

Thank you for the info and heads-up on wallpapers, f4780y.

So my question is about 'themes', which; if I have read the forums correctly, are only available through Cydia and to access that you have to be jail broken?
Or are there apps for themes catering to un-jailbroken iPads out there?

Apologies if this has been covered before -will gladly pick up keyboard and visit any recommended threads 

Sent from here  to there on my iPad2 using iPF

OP
D

dedlite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Visit any wallpaper site (we have our own section on here), save them to your camera roll (photos) and apply them. It will save you a lot of heartache trying to apply them through Cydia!

Gotcha. Quick and easy.

BUT how (as an ipad noob like wot am :)) do I add them to the default camera roll?

OP
D

dedlite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So my question is about 'themes', which; if I have read the forums correctly, are only available through Cydia and to access that you have to be jail broken?

I think you have to apply the themes with winterboard - which you have to be jailbreaked to install :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jaxtah said:
my question is about 'themes', which; if I have read the forums correctly, are only available through Cydia and to access that you have to be jail broken?

Correct, you must be jailbroken to theme iOS, but you don't strictly need Cydia (or Winterboard). If you have skills & knowledge, you can theme the device manually, but it must be JB. Cydia is just like the app store, for JB devices. Winterboard is just a very convenient theme manager.
See our themes section for examples, and read our stickies for JB info :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts