What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Computer--

PFields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have had my iPad since December and had iTunes on my laptop. Am buying a new laptop today. After I download it again, will iTunes have my information with my password?

AceOsp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It will check for available downloads, this probably won't get all the information or content back, so just export all the iTunes files to disks then import the content from the disks to iTunes.
Have fun with your new computer

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are moving from Window to Window, or Mac to Mac, you can just copy the entire iTunes media library from one computer to the other.

Go ahead and set up the new iTunes on your computer. Locate where the it put the iTunes library by default. Now copy the old iTunes library to the new location. When you start iTunes on the new computer it should find and load the library. You'll then have to authorize the computer. Go to the Store menu and choose Authorize Computer.

I'm not sure how the iPad will act when it is connected to the new computer and iTunes. It may insist on being over written.

So, before you copy the library over, be sure you have a good sync on the old computer. Also right click on the iPad under devices and choose Transfer Purchases. That way if the new computer insists on over writing the iPad, at least it will just be an inconvenience time wise. You won't lose any of your media.

Do a backup too. This won't move with the iTunes media library, but if something goes drastically wrong you'll at least be able to start again from scratch with the old computer.

When you are done, and are sure everything is working properly on the new computer, be sure to go into iTunes on the old one and de-authorize it if you'll no longer be using iTunes on it. You can only authorize 5 computers with an iTunes account, so you don't want an old one taking up a slot.

How you actually move the file depends on what you've got available and how big it is. If it's large, then you'll want to use and external hard drive. Smaller libraries could be moved over your home network from or two a shared folder.

I looked for a good set of instructions on the web, but while I could follow them, more or less, none of them inspired me with enough confidence to pass on. So my final advice is just to give it a try. Just don't do anything permanent to the original iTunes until you are happy with how the new computer is working.

Finally, before you hook up your iPad to the new computer, go into iTunes Preferences. Under Devices check the box the prevents your devices from automatically syncing. That will give you the opportunity to go through all the sync settings when you hook up your iPad, before it tries to auto-sync and possible remove or add stuff you want left alone.

Last edited:
OP
P

PFields

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thank for for the prompt replies, but I didn't explain fully---I'm very new to all of this.

My computer went south completely--the motherboard died, my geeks say. So, I cannot connect to anything. I only have 10 or so apps there on iTunes and no music or iBooks or photos.
My question is: do I have to start all over with iTunes with a new password? In that case, I will lose all updates on the apps I have?

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. Keep your current account and password. Just download iTunes. When you fire it up you'll see a Sign In option in the dark gray bar at the top, all the way to the right. Just log in with the same account you always use.

When you hook up your iPad, don't let it sync immediately. It should warn you first anyway, but you can prevent it from trying by following the instructions in the last paragraph of my previous comment.

Instead, when you see it listed under Devices, choose Transfer Purchases. This will load everything that you purchased through iTunes (including apps) to the new library. Once everything is loaded you can go ahead and sync.

If for some reason you lose the apps anyway, no worries. Just go to the App Store and download them again. It will warn you that you've already purchased the app, and ask you if you want to download it anyway. Just say yes. Despite appearances, you won't be charged again.

You'll still want to authorize iTunes using the Store menu. If you ever need to de-auhtorize the old machine to get back the lost authorization, go to your account in iTunes. You can get to it through the Store menu. You have the option to de-authorize all machines. Use it wisely. Last time I checked you could only do this two time in a single year. If you use it, don't forget to go back and individually authorize the machines you want to work.

Neeksneeks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PFields said:
Hi,
I have had my iPad since December and had iTunes on my laptop. Am buying a new laptop today. After I download it again, will iTunes have my information with my password?

How do i start a thread????

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Navigate to the forum you want to start a thread in, so that you are seeing a list of the threads. On the iPad app, tap the icon on the top right and choose New Thread (or something like that). In the web browser you'll see a New Thread button at the top and bottom of the thread list, on the left.

Most reactions

Latest posts