What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New App Idea Apps Safe?

silguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hola!

I have a new app idea, but I don't have $50k-500k to fork out or invest in it and by no means am I a programmer or a high level developer. However, I don't think my idea is a huge task or require lots of work compared to sophisticated 3d games or social networking apps. Pretty basic features. Looking at other options. Saw some apps or websites that, supposedly, gathers users' ideas and if interested or relevant(according to the website or app that you're using) they will contact you to use your idea. If successful, these investors/companies will take a huge cut, around 75% while you get the rest. But of course, if it fails, you don't lose anything.
Now to the question...:confused:
Are these places safe to protect my ideas? How do I know that they're not using my idea if I don't hear from them? Do you guys recommend any solid app creation apps or sources?

Some of the apps I came across are; AppIncubator, Swebapps, Kanchoo and AppBreeder...

Thanks,

Camoman12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, you could form your idea, and then purchase a copyright for it if you think it will be successful. Then you can post it on the site you mentioned, and if you find your app on the store without your permission or a cut of the money, sue their ass :p

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ideas cannot be copyrighted. Only 'works' (i.e. the end result of ideas) can be copyrighted. You also don't need to purchase a copyright. A 'work' is copyrighted as soon as it becomes a work. (For example, as soon as I hit post, I own the copyright to this response.)

If you have an innovative solution, you might be able to consider a patent. That's the best way to protect your idea before submitting it to people. (I don't know much at all about the patent process.)

Camoman12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ideas cannot be copyrighted. Only 'works' (i.e. the end result of ideas) can be copyrighted. You also don't need to purchase a copyright. A 'work' is copyrighted as soon as it becomes a work. (For example, as soon as I hit post, I own the copyright to this response.)

If you have an innovative solution, you might be able to consider a patent. That's the best way to protect your idea before submitting it to people. (I don't know much at all about the patent process.)

That's pretty much what I meant. You don't have to purchase a copyright, however, without official documentation and all that crap, you don't have too much proof it was your idea, work, etc. So I meant you can purchase official papers and all that fun stuff. Lol.

OP
S

silguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. So i guess in the end,if you don't do it yourself, you're pretty much taking a big risk of someone copying your idea. As for patents, there are different levels of patents, you could spend a few grand or like 20k like the big dogs. But anyways, so no site is "safe"

Camoman12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. So i guess in the end,if you don't do it yourself, you're pretty much taking a big risk of someone copying your idea. As for patents, there are different levels of patents, you could spend a few grand or like 20k like the big dogs. But anyways, so no site is "safe"

Nope, not really lol. You're much better off going with what we said to be safe, rather than sorry :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
silguy said:

I don't know if this would work where you are but I know has been used in the UK......

Write down everything you know about your idea then seal it in an envelope and send it to yourself by a means where you get a receipt. When you receive it back DO NOT OPEN IT, take it to a bank for safe storage. Now you can approach third parties, do Everything in writing keeping mail receipts and keep all the copies. If someone you approach later uses your idea you then have the proof that you had the idea before you informed them and they would then need to prove that that they had the idea first.

It just gives you an element of security without selling your house to do so.

The Archangel

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I don't know if this would work where you are but I know has been used in the UK......

Write down everything you know about your idea then seal it in an envelope and send it to yourself by a means where you get a receipt. When you receive it back DO NOT OPEN IT, take it to a bank for safe storage. Now you can approach third parties, do Everything in writing keeping mail receipts and keep all the copies. If someone you approach later uses your idea you then have the proof that you had the idea before you informed them and they would then need to prove that that they had the idea first.

It just gives you an element of security without selling your house to do so.

The Archangel

I've heard the same, I think it referred to as a poor mans copyright. I've no idea how well it would hold up in court, big companies have big lawyers and pockets, but if the letter is date stamped which all mail, I believe, is then you have proof that your idea was recorded on that date. The problem is as I've stated, fighting it in court may be the problem where deep pockets are concerned.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gazzaho said:
I've heard the same, I think it referred to as a poor mans copyright. I've no idea how well it would hold up in court, big companies have big lawyers and pockets, but if the letter is date stamped which all mail, I believe, is then you have proof that your idea was recorded on that date. The problem is as I've stated, fighting it in court may be the problem where deep pockets are concerned.

No matter what you do big companies have big lawyers who can crush you but if you don't have the big bucks right now then I think it is the only choice. I also think that over recent years companies have started to realise that there is a benefit to being seen as more ethical so the biggest threat IMHO is from smaller outfits.

I believe that we are talking about an app here and not a product which is likely to end up as a billion $ per year product line. It is also worth noting that apps in the app store have similar competitors so even if it is unique now, a month or less after it hits the app store there will be similar apps and the unique elements are gone. That said what is the point now in paying big bucks to appoint patent lawyers, etc. However unique to start with it may never make enough money to pay for all the other upfront costs if going down that route......I would definitely go the cheap protection route at this early stage.

The Archangel

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
No matter what you do big companies have big lawyers who can crush you but if you don't have the big bucks right now then I think it is the only choice. I also think that over recent years companies have started to realise that there is a benefit to being seen as more ethical so the biggest threat IMHO is from smaller outfits.

I believe that we are talking about an app here and not a product which is likely to end up as a billion $ per year product line. It is also worth noting that apps in the app store have similar competitors so even if it is unique now, a month or less after it hits the app store there will be similar apps and the unique elements are gone. That said what is the point now in paying big bucks to appoint patent lawyers, etc. However unique to start with it may never make enough money to pay for all the other upfront costs if going down that route......I would definitely go the cheap protection route at this early stage.

The Archangel

Agreed, some protection is better than none at all. I was simply pointing out that it may not be enough protection. It would be the first thing I would do myself, if I was a writer for instance, I would post the manuscript to myself before submitting a copy of it to a publisher.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gazzaho said:
Agreed, some protection is better than none at all. I was simply pointing out that it may not be enough protection. It would be the first thing I would do myself, if I was a writer for instance, I would post the manuscript to myself before submitting a copy of it to a publisher.

That's where I heard about it, my friend is an author and it's what she does.......I had completely forgotten until you mentioned it!

The Archangel

Most reactions

Latest posts