What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New and still waiting.

Nova69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm still waiting for my 64gb 3G but have been enjoying the action here. I guess I'm a bit of a geezer because my computer experience goes back to where, when you bought a computer, all you got was a box of parts and maybe a metal case to to hold the circuit boards you soldered them to. My first modem (300 baud) was back in the pre-Internet days. To connect, you dialed the number on your phone and quickly pulled out the handset cord and plugged in your modem. Later, I bought my first Apple product - an Apple II (not a IIe, or IIc). I've been through every possible brand of computer over the years and distinctly remember when my 10 meg (not gig) hard drive was the latest thing. I'm looking forward to playing with my iPad and to seeing how it develops. Eventually, when it's supplanted, I'm looking forward to adding it to my "museum of old computer stuff."

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Welcome! My first computer was a Sinclair ZX-80. It had 1k of ram, and hooked up to a cassette recorder for 'mass' storage. Next was a Vic-20, then the wonderful C-64. I loved the C-64, and still think it was an amazing machine. I know it sounds weird, but the iPad reminds me of the C-64. I had an emotional (for lack of a better word) connection with the 64, and for the first time since then am finding a similar connection with the iPad. The iPad has that same innovative, fun and intriguing feel the Commodore had. Yes, I am an odd one.

Anyway, welcome and hope your next obsession arrives soon!

OP
Nova69

Nova69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome! My first computer was a Sinclair ZX-80. It had 1k of ram, and hooked up to a cassette recorder for 'mass' storage. Next was a Vic-20, then the wonderful C-64. I loved the C-64, and still think it was an amazing machine. I know it sounds weird, but the iPad reminds me of the C-64. I had an emotional (for lack of a better word) connection with the 64, and for the first time since then am finding a similar connection with the iPad. The iPad has that same innovative, fun and intriguing feel the Commodore had. Yes, I am an odd one.

Anyway, welcome and hope your next obsession arrives soon!

Yep, I had all of them. it's amazing what programmers could do back then with 5 - 16K of Ram.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Yeah, good ol Clive Sinclair! Me and my brother rocked the whole series from zx80, 81, spectrum and spectrum 128! Togheter with the commodore 128 and Macintosh. I kinda miss the hunger we had back then with learning whatever we could get our hands on..its just not the same anymore! Siiigh! :)
Basic, Assembly, Cobal....who uses them anymore? Well, it all paved the way and C and C+ came out of it, with the now pretty amazing Cocoa and x code to help out! Where the heck was X code in Clives days? He he

Dont get me started on sprite based graphics! Wow!

And yeah, again, welcome again Nova!

dynabiker58

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't ordered one Yet? Deciding on 16 or 32 3G

I have a 5 year old IMAC 20", Wife has IPOD3G 8GB & Acer Netbook also have a 2009 Mac Book Pro 15.4" running VMWare and XP PRO for Work. I heard that CITRIX has a free program to a VM WIN 7 machine.

It would be nice to get on line in the car and places where there isn't FREE WIFI.

I really want it for going on line anywhere and listening to music and videos as well some gaming and books.

Should I get the 32 or 16 with 3G. 64Gig is too expensive.

:)

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember playing with my brother's Commodore Pet. It had no graphics and the text was a simple green but it was the first computer I played with other than what I saw on old SCI-FI's.

My first computer was a Vic 20 but my first love was the Amiga 1000. It had 4096 colors back when the DOS PC's had 4 colors and the Mac was only monochrome.

paul65k

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember playing with my brother's Commodore Pet. It had no graphics and the text was a simple green but it was the first computer I played with other than what I saw on old SCI-FI's.

My first computer was a Vic 20 but my first love was the Amiga 1000. It had 4096 colors back when the DOS PC's had 4 colors and the Mac was only monochrome.
I remember my first computer was a commodore 64....not sure if that was before or after the Pet??

First PC was an IBM PC in 1982.....64K, 2 floppy drives and a monochrome monitor and an Okidata 84 printer, which was a tank. The guy who sold me the printer said if I didn't have room in the trunk I could simply tie a rope around the printer and drag it home as it was indestructible :D

I was so proud when I upgraded it with a Seagate 212 (10 MB) HDD with a WD controller and added an AST 6Pack with 512K RAM and actually had a clock with battery back-up so you didn't have to reset the date and time every time you turned the computer on.....some people actually remember that 1-1-00 (1900 in those days) was the default date that PC's reverted to when you started them up back then.

I still remember when Apple came out with a computer called the Lisa and it actually had a weird little thing called a MOUSE....what the hell were we going to do with that thing???? It was cool though as it had a HUGE 5MB hard drive :eek:

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my first computer was one that looked exactly like this (could have been the same model)

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86def7d970b-pi

Most reactions

Latest posts