What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Never Be Stumped By Trees Again with Leapsnap

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCpR4JTEy4c&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - Introducing Leafsnap[/ame]​

Leafsnap is a tree field guide for iPhone and iPad from Columbia Engineering, University of Maryland and the Smithsonian Institute, who have come together to create the world’s first plant indentification mobile app, that uses visual search. Leafsnap enables users to identify a tree’s species simply by taking a photograph of the tree’s leaves. The app will also provide high-res photographs and information about the tree’s flowers, fruit, seeds and bark, as well as the species name.

“We wanted to use mathematical techniques we were developing for face recognition and apply them to species identification,†said Peter Belhumeur, professor of computer science at Columbia and leader of the Columbia team working on Leafsnap. “Traditional field guides can be frustrating—you often do not find what you are looking for. We thought we could redesign them using today’s smartphones and visual recognition technology.â€

“Leafsnap was originally designed as a specialized aid for scientists and plant explorers to discover new species in poorly known habitats,†said John Kress, leader of the Smithsonian team working on Leafsnap. Kress was digitizing the botanical specimens at the Smithsonian when first contacted by Jacobs and Belhumeur, so the match between a botanist and computer scientists came at a perfect time. “Now Smithsonian research is available as an app for the public to get to know the plant diversity in their own backyards, in parks and in natural areas. This tool is especially important for the environment, because learning about nature is the first step in conserving it.â€

The app has had some not entirely favourable reviews in the app store, but I would imagine it’s only a couple of updates away from living up to its potential, and it is free after all. A nice idea, and perfect timing for those spring and summer woodland walks.

Click here to download the free app: Leafsnap for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Leafsnap

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Leaf snap

I tried leaf snap. It sounds like a great idea, but it doesn't work too well. Tried 3 different leaves and it Didn't identify any of them correctly.

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I managed to get it to identify one out of several leaves. However, even without the identification feature this would still make a nice replacement for a printed tree identification book. The photos and other information can be helpful - and the price can't be beat.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm downloading right now! My science teacher and I had a problem identifying one of our school trees. I think it's a tree Cotoneaster and he doesn't agree! So we could settle this argument tomorrow! Thanks Maura! And it's free too!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never have problems identifying trees, I look in the direction of a tree and say to myself "look, it's a tree".......positive identification without need for an app.

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
he so is! I've downloaded it so will try when it's not pouring with rain!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
he so is! I've downloaded it so will try when it's not pouring with rain!

I can even spot a tree in the rain.......so much for your app!

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I never realised that the iCloud is working already? I downloaded the Leafsnap app and it downloaded to the iPhone 4 as well as the iPad 1. That is so cool.

buzzy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are we able to upgrade to ios5 now or must we Waite until the fall to do so.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts