What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

netflix update

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see that netflix came out today with a update today which enables the use of vga connector. If this is true then it seems a great way to download movies & watch on tv. If anybody has the connector would you please report if it now works ok with netflix. jim_joh

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix works with the VGA adapter. I did have some crashes when I tested it yesterday, however, there is an update as of this morning; I will test it again.

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sure wish netflix would convert more of their movies to streaming format. Seems like most are old B-grade movies.

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How many people just signed up for the free month only because they got an ipad? I feel like if they really want to kill off the comp. they will start putting new releases online. If not I will cancel after paying for just 1 month. I can make it to 5 different redbox locations in under 5 mins. where I can rent new movies for $1. 9 movies = 1 month of subscription with no waiting for new movies to arrive via mail.

I have watched several movies now but only 1 on ipad rest on the PS3 in the living room, I am excited to hook it up and watch movies in the bedroom. But Still I am frustrated that it has to be old school movies that I watched in HS and MS and maybe a few that have come out in last 10 years.

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The NetFlix update works better but still has bugs. I have a feeling we are going to see a a lot more updates in the next coming days.

OP
J

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have problems. I went to the Apple store & bought the vga connector. Well first it streamed a pretty good picture but no sound to the tv . Second it was a clear picture except on my 32"hd lcd the picture was a lot smalller than the screen. Third no closed caption which I was hoping for. Any ideas I would appreciate jim_joh

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The VGA connector has no sound so you will have to use the headphone jack for sound. The reason it looks small is that the VGA output is 4:3 and widescreen movies get letterboxed.

Last edited:

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree

How many people just signed up for the free month only because they got an ipad? I feel like if they really want to kill off the comp. they will start putting new releases online. If not I will cancel after paying for just 1 month. I can make it to 5 different redbox locations in under 5 mins. where I can rent new movies for $1. 9 movies = 1 month of subscription with no waiting for new movies to arrive via mail.

I have watched several movies now but only 1 on ipad rest on the PS3 in the living room, I am excited to hook it up and watch movies in the bedroom. But Still I am frustrated that it has to be old school movies that I watched in HS and MS and maybe a few that have come out in last 10 years.

I too am disappointed with the selection in streamable recent movies

OP
J

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about wide screen being letterboxed but in this case it is all four sides which make it a really small screen. I guess it is a lost cause. Another great idea down the tube jim_joh

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about wide screen being letterboxed but in this case it is all four sides which make it a really small screen. I guess it is a lost cause. Another great idea down the tube jim_joh

I believe this is because the 16:9 video is letterboxed for the 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPad then 4:3 VGA output is once again letterboxed by the tv or monitor.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not just hook your Mac or PC up to your Wide Screen TV and run netflix from that?
Using the iPad with a VGA out seems good for a presentation but not a home theater experience.

Gremlin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Blu-Ray player to stream NetFlix movies. I think Netflix movie output is good when you are away from home and want to watch on something bigger than your iPad. I don't think the NetFlix app will replace your Blu-Ray player or Roku box.

tail24

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually enjoy it for home theater. I have a 27" Mac I am not moving that thing anywhere. But I have wifi network and an external harddrive with like 250 movies on it. I can watch on my living room tv via my playstation 3 as a wifi server to see my comp files but I have been hoping for something for the bedroom tv. Now I have it. My Fiancee can no longer complain about having to watch movies in the living room late at night. Just hook up the ipad and use Airvideo or Netflix.

As others said you need to have a cord that connects for audio VGA cable is visual only, its a Comp. Monitor cable.

Most reactions

Latest posts