Netflix app

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by accordlayingkit, Jan 27, 2011.

1. accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I downloaded the app and signed up for the free month and unlimited online stream but I really don't see and whole lot I've heard of or much new released from theaters. Do u have to pay the $2 extra to get DVDs in the mail to get really new stuff? If so why?
  2. FunN4Lo

FunN4Lo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have had Netflix forever. Lots of streaming on the system but movies go like this... Theaters...DVD... streaming. So the streaming is the last to get the movie. Last weeks block buster won't be there, but the one from a month or 2 ago probably is.

Physical DVDs cost more on Netflix because mailing cost money
  3. accordlayingkit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I get that.....but even like "hangover" been out for a while now and u gotta get that by DVD
  4. dupont2005

dupont2005 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Some stuff is available for streaming right away but not often. They only support so much streaming content at once so something that is available for streaming right now might not be available a month from now. For example Quest For Fire is only available until the 31st of this month. On the first of February Letters From Iwo Jima will become available. Several mosr on my queue will expire that day as well. Also, there are some things that are only available in streaming. I just watched Kevin Smith: Too Fat For 40 online, it doens't appear to be available in DVD or Blu Ray. It's likely that The Hangover was already available on streaming and just expired. Streaming Netflix is like Showtime On Demand, but with a larger selection and more actual good movies.
  5. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Word on the streets is Netflix is switching over to pure streaming.

Redbox seems to be taking away from Netflix. I use Netflix for streaming on all 5 devices I own. And redbox for new hit movies not streamed via Netflix. I'd rather watch that night than wait 3 days..
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  6. accordlayingkit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Me too.....they need to do something to jus blow red box out the water!
  7. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    They won't be able to offer streaming for current/popular until the movie industry is willing to work with them. They (the industry) make a lot of money on DVD sales. They won't permit Netflix to offer just any movie.
  8. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    AFIK they don't offer streaming video (yet!), but I am beginning to see a lot of new "blue boxes" around town!

[​IMG]
  9. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Depending on the market, blue box may not do well. I know at least in CO there is redbox everywhere like starbucks. In my sub development there are 4 in less than a 1 mile area (two machines per location, so 8 total). They seem to have a hold on mcdonalds, walgreens and walmarts I've noticed..
  10. dupont2005

dupont2005 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The Redbox is doing fine right now but I see it as something that will be obsolete very soon. I only see them in budget shopping areas, probably marketing to people who don't own computers or have Internet at home. People who can't use Netflix or people who have not yet embraced online shopping. Those people are a rapidly shrinking demographic. I am not sure if the Redbox is an individual franchise like a soda machine or not so I don't know what selection is like everywhere, but the ones I have seen are easel 2/3 b-movie straight to video stuff nobody has ever heard about. The selection of actual Hollywood hits is pretty slim. I have never even considered using one. If I see a movie I like that is not already queued up in Netflix I just snap a photo and go home and add it. I also do not know how many copies of a movie these things can hold so I don't know what the odds are of one being rented out but it's at least possible at some degree.

I do think streaming media everywhere, not just Netflix, is the future. I don't think it's going to happen overnight though. Disc rentals still have at least a few years left in them.
  11. speedlever

speedlever iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sure hope DVD has more than a few years left. My home theater system is setup around the DVD. I don't know how I would get 5.1 sound out of streaming video. Is it possible?
  12. iPadOhana

iPadOhana iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Please forgive the stupid question, but for the $7.99 monthly charge I could use Netflix on my iPad, wii and iPhone? Just trying to decide if I want to sign-up for it or not.
  13. accordlayingkit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yup 30 days free...my first $7.99 jus started coming out this month, I've watch through the wii and my iPad, guess iPhone is the same I just dont have one. My 3 year old watching cartoons n them
  14. iPadOhana

iPadOhana iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you accordlayingkit...

I'll probably be signing up shortly for it too. Dang, more $$ to play on my iPad. I'll spin it for the kids and see how that works. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. accordlayingkit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yea no problem, i dont really watch a whole lot of movies and I wish the movies on there were brand new stuff but I guess the movie industry still has to make the money off the DVDs. But if if was that big of a deal I can always change my Netflix for 9.99 to stream and get newer stuff in the mail or just go to Walgreens or 7eleven a mile from home and check out the red box
  16. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have had Netflix for an long time... Originally of course just for DVDs though now I only use it for streaming. I'm going to change my plan to streaming only as a matter of fact. As mentioned by someone else I simply use Redbox for anything not streamable and that I want to watch now.

But last night Netflix ticked me off. They deactivated my account because their billing system was having issues and it seemed like my CC was declined (it wasn't--they never even attempted a charge).

There was no time whatsoever given to rectify the problem. Immediate deactivation of account. I finally had to call them to find out what was going on... and they really didn't seem to care that they basically yanked my service for an error they admitted was their fault.

So that clinched it... lowered my plan to streaming only.

BTW: Whoever said redbox was for people without computers was WAY off base. Half the people I see at the machines already reserved the movie via the Internet, or right on their smartphone (I use Redbox app on my iPhone). Swipe CC, get the disc, and go. That is how I do it.

Michael
  17. accordlayingkit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    So u reserve the movie via app or Internet for red box? So even know they have it, it won't let anyone get it because you reserved it and when u swipe your card it knows the reserved copy is for u? I haven't checked red box out before I just know where some are around my house
  18. iPadOhana

iPadOhana iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That is correct and it's very easy to use via Internet or app on iPhone. I'm thinking of the netflix for immediate streaming and convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. Mypad2

Mypad2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I mainly use netflix for tv show, not all movies are available for streaming because of the copyrights of certain movies specially soon who went ahead and took out their movies from the streaming line up when they heard netflix streaming was coming on xbox 360 and not on ps3 (now i think ps3 has it too).
  20. speedlever

speedlever iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, the PS3 has Netflix streaming. I watched a Netflix movie streamed to our PS3 the other day.