What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix app gets updated to meet limited Retina iPad functionality

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
netflix-ipad-retina-eng.jpg

Now that the iPad 3 is out, several companies are upgrading their apps and software so that they may provide the Retina experience on their products. Netflix is one of the newest examples. You can now grab your version free of charge from iTunes. The minimal video service fee monthly subscription is still set at $7.99.

Here is a list of improvements:
  • Users will experience improved artwork for the new Retina pad.
  • The VoiceOver support bugs have been fixed.
  • Also, the external display playback has been improved.
There is one big caveat. For the moment, the app does not support HD streaming, which is a disappointment, but is also something they are working on.

For those with an older version of the iPad this new upgrade does nothing really. Also, for some reason, streaming-only customers have lost the ability to view or rate DVD-only titles with the 2.1.1 version of the app. It might be strange, but a new version should come eventually.

By Radu

Source: Netflix iPad app upgraded with Retina quality icons and images now, HD video soon -- Engadget

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I have since updated mine!! I wonder if it will make any difference on 2?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dgstorm said:
Now that the iPad 3 is out, several companies are upgrading their apps and software so that they may provide the Retina experience on their products. Netflix is one of the newest examples. You can now grab your version free of charge from iTunes. The minimal video service fee monthly subscription is still set at $7.99.

Here is a list of improvements:

[*]Users will experience improved artwork for the new Retina pad.
[*]The VoiceOver support bugs have been fixed.
[*]Also, the external display playback has been improved.

There is one big caveat. For the moment, the app does not support HD streaming, which is a disappointment, but is also something they are working on.

For those with an older version of the iPad this new upgrade does nothing really. Also, for some reason, streaming-only customers have lost the ability to view or rate DVD-only titles with the 2.1.1 version of the app. It might be strange, but a new version should come eventually.

By Radu

Source: Netflix iPad app upgraded with Retina quality icons and images now, HD video soon -- Engadget

Mine has been streaming HD I think? Or may it was my TV app.

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i wonder same thing too! if its improved on iPad 2

Most reactions