What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nested directories in iPad?

Ramdrake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to create nested directories (i.e. directories within directories) on the iPad? If so, please let me know.

Jean.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to create nested directories (i.e. directories within directories) on the iPad? If so, please let me know.

Jean.

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

I saw your query about nested directories. The iPad doesn't have a file system like a PC so, generally, this is not possible. For example, in Apple's iWorks Office suite Word-compatible 'Pages' app, all the documents are stored in a 'My Documents' flat file structure that doesn't support folders. However, Pages can access Apple's iDisk cloud server over the Internet and directly from within the app, and iDisk does support nested folders.

Also, the iPad's 'Swiss Army Knife' app, GoodReader, supports nested folders where you can store any document and then open them in the supporting app. It's consistently voted by Forum members their number one 'must have' app.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Jean.

Salut, Jean!

Get FileBrowser. It's a tiny OS within the iPad OS but unconnected to it that allows you that file structure that you seek. It will communicate with any computer on your wifi network and retrieve files there. It is also the only link from the iPad to a NAS (Network Attached Storage) such as Western Digital's MyBook World.
With it you can open files to read such as .doc, .txt, jpeg, some movie files etc., and reorganize anything to your liking. What it does not do is modify those files. For that you will need DocsToGo. It modifies Office documents and syncs them with the host computer via wifi.

10 to 15$ may be expensive compared to the majority of apps but very well worth it compared to Microsoft wares.

If I may offer advice on app shopping, read everything on the app page and click on the "Developer's Site" Or "App Support" button. You will always be able to read the app's manual or download it...

Bonne chance!;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts