What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need to restore ipad

pmt33169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all, my ipad is running extremely slow and certain applications cease to load (crash at startup), so I would like to do a complete restore (to factory condition). My concern is whether the ipad will update to IOS 6 (I am still on ios 5.1.1).

So the question is, will doing a full reset (settings / reset all setting) restore the ipad, and then download and apply IOS6.0. Since the reviews on IOS 6 are less than stellar I would like to keep IOS 5.1.1

Thanks.

PMT

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all, my ipad is running extremely slow and certain applications cease to load (crash at startup), so I would like to do a complete restore (to factory condition). My concern is whether the ipad will update to IOS 6 (I am still on ios 5.1.1).

So the question is, will doing a full reset (settings / reset all setting) restore the ipad, and then download and apply IOS6.0. Since the reviews on IOS 6 are less than stellar I would like to keep IOS 5.1.1

Thanks.

PMT

Yes, a restore will install iOS 6.

Have you ever saved SHSH blobs for iOS 5.1.1 (and did you get to iOS 5.1.1 via iTunes, not over the air)? You didn't/don't have to be jail broken to save those blobs - but you had to have saved them while Apple was authorizing that iOS.

If yes, there is a new method to re-restore to iOS 5.1.1. See this tutorial: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=92572

If the answer is no, then i'm afraid you're either stuck with your iPad running slow on iOS 5.1.1 or making the upgrade to iOS 6.

Marilyn

OP
P

pmt33169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i do have the shsh as well as the files from the mentoned link. Where do I place the IPSW file, do I open it with ITUNES, save it to the apps folder.... so that the restore will know where to find it.

thanks again.

OP
P

pmt33169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i do have the shsh as well as the files from the mentoned link.&nbsp; Where do I place the IPSW file, do I open it with ITUNES, save it to the apps folder.... so that the restore will know where to find it.<br><br>thanks again.

OP
P

pmt33169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great thanks...

ok what am I doing incorrectly.... i downloaded the ipad 2 wifi 5.1.1 ipsw..saved to the desktop, and when I run redsnow and select the file I get the following error...
THE IPSW IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THIS VERSION OF REDSNOW

FINGERPRINT:
92EBD.......

i am running redsnow 09.15b1 - downloaded and tried .15b2 and get the following error:
not the correct IPSW. PLEASE LOCATE IPAD2,1_5.1.1_9Z999
I looked at the supplied website, and can not find this version of the ipsw... onlyipad 2,1.5.1_9b206...
am I essentially screwed for the moment....

thanks....
PMT

you are a great help...thanks for the input...

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
great thanks...

ok what am I doing incorrectly.... i downloaded the ipad 2 wifi 5.1.1 ipsw..saved to the desktop, and when I run redsnow and select the file I get the following error...
THE IPSW IS NOT SUPPORTED BY THIS VERSION OF REDSNOW

FINGERPRINT:
92EBD.......

i am running redsnow 09.15b1 - downloaded and tried .15b2 and get the following error:
not the correct IPSW. PLEASE LOCATE IPAD2,1_5.1.1_9Z999
I looked at the supplied website, and can not find this version of the ipsw... onlyipad 2,1.5.1_9b206...
am I essentially screwed for the moment....

thanks....
PMT

you are a great help...thanks for the input...

When you upgraded to iOS 5.1.1, did you do it over the air (OTA; from on the iPad) or with iTunes? Cause that might be it - you can't re-restore if you got to iOS 5.1.1 via OTA.

Marilyn

OP
P

pmt33169

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Figured it out.... I had recoverguard installed, which "tricked" apple in thinking is was the latest and greatest IOS. uninstalled it, and everything worked out great.

much appreciated for your input...

pMT

Most reactions