What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need some assisstant please...

jeremy7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,
i just got my ipad2 today and i am totally no idea how to use this apple product since this is my 1st....can anyone tell me please how to back to the main screen after visiting apps such as setting,safari....if we need to close the apps everytime by pressing the main menu key,it is a bit user unfriendly...and is there any shortcut key to activate Wifi? thanks a lot

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,
i just got my ipad2 today and i am totally no idea how to use this apple product since this is my 1st....can anyone tell me please how to back to the main screen after visiting apps such as setting,safari....if we need to close the apps everytime by pressing the main menu key,it is a bit user unfriendly...and is there any shortcut key to activate Wifi? thanks a lot

The iPad's operating system is not really multi-tasking in the way that Windows means, it's more of a task switcher. So, when you hit the Home button (the button on the front of the iPad just beneath the screen) to take you back to the Home screen, it's simply switching that task - say, Safari or Settings out and swapping a new task in.

If you double-press the 'Home' button, you open up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen and you can see all the tasks that the iPad is 'running' (in reality, they're simply swapped out) and you can move easily between one task and another without having to continually return to the Home screen.

So, if you're in Safari and want to go to Settings, you can double-press the Home button - you'll see a list of the loaded tasks, now just press the Settings icon and you'll swap directly to that task without having to revisit the Home screen again. If there are more tasks running than can be fitted on a single screen, you can 'flick' the task bar right and left to reveal more tasks.

If you want to terminate a task, press and hold any icon in the multi-task bar - after a few seconds they all start to 'jiggle'. Now press the 'X' that's in the top left hand corner of the task you want to terminate and that task will close. It's a good way of closing a task or app if they start to 'misbehave'. Note, it only closes the app or task, it doesn't delete it.

If you want to start that app again, then you simply go back to the Home screen, find the app and touch it to start it up again.

To close the multi-task bar just simply press the Home button once.

Hope this helps....

There's no easy shortcut to turning WiFi on and off - you need to go to 'Settings', 'WiFi' and then 'Off'.

Tim

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a look here for the User guide:

Apple - Support - Manuals

whenever you want to go back to the home screen just press the home button. Myself, I close all apps only once in the evening.
From the homescreen press 2x after another the home button.
The open apps apear at the bottom.
Press and hold one app and you see a red symbol appear.
Pressing this symbol will close the app
Press the home button again will remove the symbols and then you can use it to switch to another app.
Touching the screen will bring you back to the home screen.

There is no shortcut to go to WiFi, but if you are in the WiFi screen and press the home screen you can just go about using your apps. Once you press the settings icon again will bring you to the last open screen (WiFi).

But why do you need a shortcut to the WiFi?

Edit: Tim beat me to it......Again.....

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah - but now Jeremy7 is more convinced because two people have told him the same thing!! And, I was trying to think, whose electrons have further to travel? - yours or mine - perhaps that's why my post got there first. My knowledge of geography is so poor that I don't know whether Scotland or Thailand are closer to Malaysia...but both sets of electrons are going downhill...:D

Tim

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Ah - but now Jeremy7 is more convinced because two people have told him the same thing!! And, I was trying to think, whose electrons have further to travel? - yours or mine - perhaps that's why my post got there first. My knowledge of geography is so poor that I don't know whether Scotland or Thailand are closer to Malaysia...but both sets of electrons are going downhill...:D

Tim

Thailand is closer, but our internet connection is lousy. That must be the reason.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
J

jeremy7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks very much tim and jjk...i asked for the shortcut key for wifi because i wondering if i keep the wifi in the "on" mode,will it drain the battery faster?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks very much tim and jjk...i asked for the shortcut key for wifi because i wondering if i keep the wifi in the "on" mode,will it drain the battery faster?

Wi-fi and 3G do draw on the battery, but you'll usually still get good battery life. The exception is when you have a weak wi-fi or 3G signal. That will cause your iPad to search for the signal and drain your battery faster. I rarely turn off 3G and I get at least 10 hours on one charge.

If you're worried about battery life, there are other ways to preserve it, including setting your brightness on low and setting your email accounts to manual, rather than push. You also can limit you locations settings, but that might make some of your apps less useful.

Last edited:
OP
J

jeremy7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the info kay....and 1 more thing,do our ipad2 having gps function? or we can only using package date to download the map and show our location everytime? i cant find any gps in the "setting"..does it mean we cant use navigation for the offline mode (no wifi,3g or any other internet connection)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for the info kay....and 1 more thing,do our ipad2 having gps function? or we can only using package date to download the map and show our location everytime? i cant find any gps in the "setting"..does it mean we cant use navigation for the offline mode (no wifi,3g or any other internet connection)

Only the 3G models have GPS. The wi-fi models use triangulation to locate you, generally less precisely than GPS.

You need a connection, whether 3G or wi-fi, the whole time you want to be located. There are map apps you can load onto your iPad that you can use offline, but I'm not familiar with which are best, because I use 3G even when overseas.

In Asia, I've found great rates for 3G, including unlimited data, even when I've just bought local micro-SIMs for temporary use.

OP
J

jeremy7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am using 3g 16gb but i cant find gps in setting?
which mean we need internet connection for navigation apps? i am in asean country,and i cant find any offline map to use...too bad

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i am using 3g 16gb but i cant find gps in setting?
which mean we need internet connection for navigation apps? i am in asean country,and i cant find any offline map to use...too bad

Go to Settings>Location Services and turn it on. That's your GPS, essentially. From there, you can turn on location services for individual apps, including the default map app that comes with your iPad. But you'll still need a 3G or wi-fi connection to be located. Depending on where you are, you might still have a hard time being located. That might happen if you're surrounded by high-rises, lots of wi-fi signals, cell towers, etc., because that can cause interference. Generally, 3G works better, I've found. But your experience might differ.

Last edited:

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HELO HELO HELO! APA KHABAR? SELAMAT DATANG!!! Congrats in getting your iPad 2! For GPS apps, go on to the Malaysian App Store and search for GPS. Sygic and NAVfone are good examples.

Most reactions

Latest posts