What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with Skype on iPad Pro

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am using Skype on my iPad to connect with professional contacts, however I don’t see the paper clip icon in chat box to attach files, documents during the chat. The other icons such as picture, video, location camera etc are all there. Do I need to grant permission in settings in order to be able to share data files with my Skype contacts?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Searching around, it looks like the ability to send attachments is not available in the current version of Skype for iOS. At least one message I saw suggests it was available in earlier versions. No idea if this is true or not.

A workaround would be to upload your file to a cloud service like DropBox, then send the share link via Skype. I know, not terribly handy.

iOS 11 has made several improvements in how third party apps can access the file system, so I think the odds are good that Skype will add the feature (back?) eventually.

There has been no updates to the iPad version of Skype since the introduction of iOS 11, so there should be something soon(ish) if the development team is on the ball.

Disclaimer: I don’t use Skype. However; in my explorations, I discovered that my Office 365 subscripton includes Skype. I may play with it in the future; if I find anyone I know who also uses it.

OP
A

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for your inputs Poet. I too found out that my office subscription include Skype, however I had installed Skype separately and just now merged with my Microsoft office account. But doing this didn’t change the functionality of Skype and it still doesn’t provide attachment option for documents or some other files.
In my android smart phone, it works pretty smooth, by clicking share on any particular file, where Skype appears as an option along with other options such as messaging, whatsapp, messenger etc. However on iOS the direct sharing of file too didn’t show Skype as an available option.

Just some more exploration lead to the information that as per version history of Skype on App Store, the version was updated 4 months ago, much before iOS 11 rolled out. I think Skype is not yet optimised for iOS 11.x

Atindra

Last edited:
OP
A

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, Microsoft community forum did find some answer to my query and the answer is a standard one, that at present mobile version of Skype on iPad doesn’t support attaching a file.

Atindra

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just downloaded Skype, to see if it is supporting mult-taksing properly. Looks like it does.

That given, and supposing you can convince your business associates to go along with it, you could use Skype in split view with another app like Slack. Slack is far more powerful and flexible than Skype, in everything except video (which it doesn’t do).

Just a thought, and probably not a practical one.

OP
A

Atindra

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes I too am thinking to explore Slack. May be teamviewer is also a good option.

Atindra

Most reactions

Latest posts