What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with Numbers

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I imported an Excel spreadsheet that included charts. I was able the to change the data range in ons chart. When I started in the next I got some unwanted data accidentally selected. I have looked at the help section and done what it said but never did get a choice of any kind. According to help, delete is supposed to appear so the data can be deleted. I have been using it for about 2 months. I see that it was updated May 31. Since I did not have to delete a data range before the update, I have no idea if this could be the problem.

Someone mentioned exporting a Numbers file to be edited in Excel. How do you do that? I don't dee anything, so far in the help section that addresses that

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I imported an Excel spreadsheet that included charts. I was able the to change the data range in ons chart. When I started in the next I got some unwanted data accidentally selected. I have looked at the help section and done what it said but never did get a choice of any kind. According to help, delete is supposed to appear so the data can be deleted. I have been using it for about 2 months. I see that it was updated May 31. Since I did not have to delete a data range before the update, I have no idea if this could be the problem.

Someone mentioned exporting a Numbers file to be edited in Excel. How do you do that? I don't dee anything, so far in the help section that addresses that

At the bottom of a Numbers spreadsheet there's a curly arrow that allows you to email the spreadsheet in .xls format. You could then edit it on your PC. If you're a MobileMe subscriber, you'll also see the option to save the spreadsheet to the MobileMe cloud storage iDisk.

Tim

OP
S

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
At the bottom of a Numbers spreadsheet there's a curly arrow that allows you to email the spreadsheet in .xls format. You could then edit it on your PC. If you're a MobileMe subscriber, you'll also see the option to save the spreadsheet to the MobileMe cloud storage iDisk.

Tim

Thanks. That may be the fastest way for me to edit my mistakes.

OP
S

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:

Tim

Just checked and there is no curly arrow. Had to select the wrench at the upper right, then share and print, then email. Then given choice of what format.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should have been clearer. Not when you're actually in the spreadsheet, but when you're in the My Document view. Bring the spreadsheet so that it's the highlighted one, but don't open it. Then you'll see the curly arrow at the bottom of the spreadsheet. Sorry I wasn't clearer...:(

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I should have been clearer. Not when you're actually in the spreadsheet, but when you're in the My Document view. Bring the spreadsheet so that it's the highlighted one, but don't open it. Then you'll see the curly arrow at the bottom of the spreadsheet. Sorry I wasn't clearer...:(

Tim

@Tim, That's right, you're still running the older version. Come on, be brave and upgrade. :D

@Sunny Day, Export is now done with the document open. Tap on the wrench icon and choose the Share and Print option. Tap to email, and you will get a choice of export formats, one of which will be Excel.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, now that I've really read your original post:

To delete unwanted data ranges;

Double tap on the chart. All data ranges should be highlighted in the table. Tap the bar above the column (or to the left of the rows) containing the data. It might take a couple tries to hit the right spot. Aim for the dot. You will get a Delete Series option in a popup menu.

OP
S

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Also, now that I've really read your original post:

To delete unwanted data ranges;

Double tap on the chart. All data ranges should be highlighted in the table. Tap the bar above the column (or to the left of the rows) containing the data. It might take a couple tries to hit the right spot. Aim for the dot. You will get a Delete Series option in a popup menu.

That's my problem, the delete series choice does not come up. I double tap the chart and all the data series show up with blue boxes around them with a blue dot at the lower right. I have tapped this dot, held the dot, sent nasty thoughts at the dot, and I can't get the delete choice to come up. Frustration. I have to be doing something wrong, or not doing something right, but I have no idea what it is.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's my problem, the delete series choice does not come up. I double tap the chart and all the data series show up with blue boxes around them with a blue dot at the lower right. I have tapped this dot, held the dot, sent nasty thoughts at the dot, and I can't get the delete choice to come up. Frustration. I have to be doing something wrong, or not doing something right, but I have no idea what it is.

Wrong dot. I meant the dot at the top of the series, the one that shows what color the data in the chart is. Tap on the bar above the series, or to it's left if you are doing rows. The dot is just a convenient target to help make sure you tap in that bar.

See attachment.

Attachments

• NumbersChartSeriesDelete.png
    NumbersChartSeriesDelete.png
    357.1 KB · Views: 372
OP
S

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I see what you mean. I found it, but still have a problem. This spreadsheet is long, I am working about the 220th row. After I double tap I the chart and scroll to the top, touch the dot, and as soon as I touch anywhere on the screen the delete series disappears. Any ideas?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
sunny day said:
Ok, I see what you mean. I found it, but still have a problem. This spreadsheet is long, I am working about the 220th row. After I double tap I the chart and scroll to the top, touch the dot, and as soon as I touch anywhere on the screen the delete series disappears. Any ideas?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding. If you are seeing the Delete Series popup, why are you not just tapping it to delete that series? It will only delete the series that you tapped.

OP
S

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The light bulb finally comes on. I have succeeded in deleting several and working on the rest. Thanks for being patient.

Most reactions

Latest posts