What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with "Notes"

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm tearing my hair out over this "Notes" App of Apples. Does anyone here know how to "Cut" text since it's not an option? Is the only way to just backspace over all the paragraphs? I'm about to give up on this lame app.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Press your finger down where you want to start and some of it will turn blue and say select. Drag the button to where you want to stop. It should say cut, copy, paste. I'm not too technical but it seems to work.

Bobbi

OP
I

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Press your finger down where you want to start and some of it will turn blue and say select. Drag the button to where you want to stop. It should say cut, copy, paste. I'm not too technical but it seems to work.

Bobbi

I already did that or I wouldn't have known there was no "Cut". There is only "Copy" and "Paste" on Apple's Notes. No option to Cut.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I already did that or I wouldn't have known there was no "Cut". There is only "Copy" and "Paste" on Apple's Notes. No option to Cut.

I cannot find a cut command. The delete button on the key board is the only option. Try holding the button down to rapidly delete long blocks of text. It's a bit hit and miss.
There are other useful note making apps available, such as Evernote.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
I

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot find a cut command. The delete button on the key board is the only option. Try holding the button down to rapidly delete long blocks of text. It's a bit hit and miss.
There are other useful note making apps available, such as Evernote.

I clicked on your Evernote link and it brought up an AD for Amazon.com that when I X'd out of it, put me back on this page. That's okay, I can find it. Just thought you should know. Thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately the delete on my keyboard didn't delete the highlighted text.

Okay....I'm beginning to think there might be something wrong with my iPad 2. It's a 32G and almost maxed out. I suppose that can cause problems? (The 'CUT' option does appear in Notes on my iPad Mini though....)

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm tearing my hair out over this "Notes" App of Apples. Does anyone here know how to "Cut" text since it's not an option? Is the only way to just backspace over all the paragraphs? I'm about to give up on this lame app.

I have just tried the Apple note app and it works OK for me.

Here is what I did and the results.

Press and hold on a word.

Press select.

Cut, copy, paste, suggest and define commands should appear.

This works on new notes and editing existing notes.

If no cut command then press a word, select, drag to extend selection then press the back key to delete.

Hope this helps.

OP
I

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gtatler...that worked! Hitting the delete key on either the onscreen keyboard or the Apple keyboard worked. THANK YOU! :)

(The 'cut' option never did come up with the Copy and Paste)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The native Notes app seems to inconsistently offer the "cut" feature. I can get it to pop up on about half my notes, but without clear reasons. It seems like whether a highlighted word is defined in the dictionary might be part of the reason (it doesn't seem to offer "cut" when I highlight words that don't appear in the dictionary, though there doesn't seem to be a logical reason for that), but I don't know that for sure.

If you'd like a more reliable notes app, I'd suggest Notability, which costs 99 cents. I started using it in addition to Evernote at the suggestion of a professional who sends lots of legal documents to clients. It offers a good combination of features, including cut and paste.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In Notes:

The Cut and Paste options only show when you are editing the note; when you can see the cursor in the note and the keyboard is visible (if you're not using an external keyboard). I you are merely viewing the note you get Copy and some viewing/reading style options like Define and Speak.

So, the first thing you do is tap the note to get into edit mode. Then tap and hold for the selection optinos. After you've selected something, you'll get the Copy, Cut, and Paste options.

By the way, this is true of most editor apps, including Evernote. You won't get edit style options like Cut and Paste until you are editing the note.

OP
I

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet...you make good sense. But I swear I've been in the editing mode with the cursor placed before highlighting part of the text and still couldn't get the Cut to come up with the other options. I've NEVER had that problem with any other App.

Kaykaykay...I've had Notability for a long time. I got disenchanted with it when it started putting my files in folders I never had them in to begin with. And trying to find them was next to impossible, even with 'search'. I just got Textilus and really like it so I'm slowly moving stuff from Notability. I'll prolly still use Notability for a few things but I don't trust it any more with lots of files and folders.

Thanks to everybody for your input! I enjoyed reading it all! :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Notes:

The Cut and Paste options only show when you are editing the note; when you can see the cursor in the note and the keyboard is visible (if you're not using an external keyboard). I you are merely viewing the note you get Copy and some viewing/reading style options like Define and Speak.

So, the first thing you do is tap the note to get into edit mode. Then tap and hold for the selection optinos. After you've selected something, you'll get the Copy, Cut, and Paste options.

By the way, this is true of most editor apps, including Evernote. You won't get edit style options like Cut and Paste until you are editing the note.

That's not been my experience with the native Notes app. Even in edit mode, the offering of copy, cut, etc., varies.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's not been my experience with the native Notes app. Even in edit mode, the offering of copy, cut, etc., varies.

What can I say? It's always been consistent for me. In view mode you can Copy and a few other things. In edit mode you can Copy and Cut if something is selected. You can Paste if there is text in the clipboard.

Pretty much every text edit/note app I've used works this way. I'm pretty sure it's a part of the API that almost all developer's use.

Then again, Notes is not my most used app, so I can't say I tested it exhaustively.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I've had another thought (or unreasonable facsimile). One of the early iOS 6 versions had a problem with selected text options in iBooks if the Speak Selection option was turned on in the Accessibility settings. I suppose it might affect the Notes app as well, since it has the Speak option.

Since you are jailbroken (if memory serves), you might be running that version. If the problem is consistent enough to test, you might try turning OFF the Speak option and see if it makes a difference.

And though I hate make suggestions on a topic I have no experience with, it might be worthwhile to review any tweaks you have going that would affect the keyboard or text editing environment.

I find it hard to believe that Notes is that glitch prone, and yet the problem remained below the tech blog (and my) radar. Though I suppose I could have simply missed those articles and posts. Can't read everything. ;)

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What can I say? It's always been consistent for me. In view mode you can Copy and a few other things. In edit mode you can Copy and Cut if something is selected. You can Paste if there is text in the clipboard.

Pretty much every text edit/note app I've used works this way. I'm pretty sure it's a part of the API that almost all developer's use.

Then again, Notes is not my most used app, so I can't say I tested it exhaustively.

I've had another thought (or unreasonable facsimile). One of the early iOS 6 versions had a problem with selected text options in iBooks if the Speak Selection option was turned on in the Accessibility settings. I suppose it might affect the Notes app as well, since it has the Speak option.

Since you are jailbroken (if memory serves), you might be running that version. If the problem is consistent enough to test, you might try turning OFF the Speak option and see if it makes a difference.

And though I hate make suggestions on a topic I have no experience with, it might be worthwhile to review any tweaks you have going that would affect the keyboard or text editing environment.

I find it hard to believe that Notes is that glitch prone, and yet the problem remained below the tech blog (and my) radar. Though I suppose I could have simply missed those articles and posts. Can't read everything. ;)

Thanks. Not a prob for me, because I switched to Evernote and then added Notability. I mentioned my experience because of OP's question, is all.

I switched away from native Notes because I had trouble with a file maybe a year ago: It repeatedly failed to save my updates, then the file disappeared. I still have some old notes on the app, but I don't count on it like I do with Evernote or Notability.

OP
I

imember

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't trust Apple's Notes enough to put anything important in there. And the "Cut" feature does seem iffy all the time, not consistent. I've never had that problem with any other App. I use it now mainly for just a grocery list and other minor things. It does sync well across all my devices and that's important to me. But I'm really beginning to think maybe Notes is just having some hormonal problems. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts