What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with my Bluetooth keyboard

Grass hopper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I got a Bluetooth keyboard with a case at brookstone and it worked really well for a while. But this morning I woke up and started typing but it typed different letters. For example, when I try and type the word alphabet, I get anldax.y. Can anybody help me get it back to normal?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried replacing the battery in the keyboard? All kinds of weird things can happen when batteries get low.

Or, maybe. . . try going to Settings > General > Keyboard > Keyboards > English, and make sure you've got U.S. (or your country of choice) chosen under Choose A Hardware Keyboard Layout. If someone has decided to prank you by changing it to something like Dvorak (an alternate keyboard layout), you'd probably get symptoms similar to what you described.

supre1960

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have this problem. The keyboard I previously synced with my iPad no longer responds. It does not have a battery as one person suggested. It gets charged like the iPad does-it is charged but still does not respond.

Tried to find a way to remove it but see no option to I sync it. Thought I could do that and then resync it! but no....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried re-pairing it?

Go to Settings > Bluetooth tap the arrow or (i) to the right of the keyboard entry and choose Forget Device.

Place your keyboard in discover mode as per it's instructions. If the keyboard does not show up under the Devices list in settings on the iPad, try turning Bluetooth off, then back on to force it to search.

Select the keyboard when it appears and follow any instructions.

Good luck.

supre1960

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried your suggestions but it keeps saying pairing unsuccessful. It's not an apple external keyboard, if that matters.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It should not matter. Pretty much any bluetooth keyboard should work, at least to some degree.

Are you sure the keyboard has been reset, not paired with any other device or computer?

If you have any other bluetooth keyboards you could give them a try, just to eliminate whether it's a general problem or something specific with that keyboard.

You can also try the usual fixes, with possibly the Reset All Settings working. I don't have a lot of confidence of it working. It's just the only other thing I can think of.

------------------------------
The Usual Fixes
------------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app:

iOS 6: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app.

iOS 7: Double tap the Home button to get the multitasking display. Swipe up on the problem app's thumbnail image (not the icon).

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset All Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hello T Poet.
Do you know of an App or method to remap a wireless keyboard bluetoothed to a iPad?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello T Poet.
Do you know of an App or method to remap a wireless keyboard bluetoothed to a iPad?

If it exists it would have to be a jailbreak app.

But you do have some ability to re-map the keyboard in Settings, if by remap you mean use a different standard keyboard layout. Settings > General > Keyboards: Select the language and you will be presented with both software (the touch keyboard) and hardware layout options. The hardware options are mostly about variations of the standard QWERTY layout found internationally; but the Dvorak keyboard is also available under the English keyboard settings.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hello T Poet and thanks.
I want to remap/reposition the spacebar, as it often does not work.
On the BT keyboard that is.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No way that I know of. It's probably not worth your time/effort to jailbreak for that feature, even if it exists. I see a new BlueTooth keyboard in your future. Sorry.

Though, if/when you decide to replace a keyboard, breaking it becomes less of a issue. Depending on the keyboard's construction you may be able to 'carefully' pry the space key off and see if any debris or gunk is messing up the key's action. This was pretty easy on older full sized keyboards. On the newer ones, even if it is possible, you stand a good chance of breaking something so the key never works right again; so only do it as a last resort, when you are fully ready to replace the keyboard.

It can also be a major test of patience and determination to put a key, properly, back on a newer keyboard, even if it's not broken. Especially a spacebar key. They usually have a few extra parts.

Good luck.

D

Deleted member 247820

Hi TPoet.
Thanks for your input, all makes sense.
The keyboard is an elcheapo! So a new keyboard makes sense.
If I get bored I may take your suggestion to lift the key and try to clean it.
Then of course I will need to buy a new one.
AND it will be a proper Apple keyboard.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I like my Apple Keyboard, but it's hardly the only good bluetooth keyboard out there. Though it is nice that many (not all) of the special function keys work on the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts