need help with maps

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by jillsipad, Sep 8, 2011.

1. jillsipad

jillsipad iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone, I have an ipad 1 and just today the maps icon quit working. when i touch icon it goes to the grey screen like its loading then in 3 seconds or so it goes back to home screen. Any advice/ help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,840 / 4
    Try restarting your iPad. If that does not work try a reset.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

3. jillsipad

jillsipad iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sorry to say that the restart and reset did not correct the problem. Thank you for the help twerppoet... I atleast learned how to do a restart and reset. Thanks!

Any other suggestions anyone?

4. giradman

giradman iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,553 / 0
    Hi Jill (my assumption) - welcome to the forum! :)

TP's suggestion is excellent, i.e. if your iPad is acting up in a 'funny way', then follow those sequences - sorry, that the directions did not work - make sure that the 'reset' worked?

Just as a suggestion (which should have been corrected by the previous maneuvers), double-click on the 'home button' which will bring up a task bar at the bottom of your home screen - press & hold any app there until all being to jiggle - find the 'Map' icon and press the little x (upper left corner) - this will force a shutdown - now this may not even be a choice? But if so, let us know if this help - if not, then repost back here - good luck! :)

5. jillsipad

jillsipad iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi giradman thanks for the"welcome"
    I followed your instructions of doing the double click home button and xing out of
    all my apps (literally all my apps were running) So thanks for that lesson!
    I then did another reset but no success.... Maps still not opening

Thanks
    Jill

6. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,840 / 4
    Not all your apps were running, but we'll not get into that now.

The next step down the road is a restore. This will wipe your iPad clean and restore it to factory defaults. You'll have to enable just like you did when new.

If you are uncomfortable with this and still within 90 days of your iPad's purchase, or you got the Apple Care extended protection you can contact Apple Support and have them walk you through.

Here is what I suggested in another thread when asked about restoring. I'm lazy. :D

For more information here is Apple's help page on backups and restoring your iPad.

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software