What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help with maps

jillsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have an ipad 1 and just today the maps icon quit working. when i touch icon it goes to the grey screen like its loading then in 3 seconds or so it goes back to home screen. Any advice/ help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try restarting your iPad. If that does not work try a reset.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
J

jillsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that the restart and reset did not correct the problem. Thank you for the help twerppoet... I atleast learned how to do a restart and reset. Thanks!

Any other suggestions anyone?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Jill (my assumption) - welcome to the forum! :)

TP's suggestion is excellent, i.e. if your iPad is acting up in a 'funny way', then follow those sequences - sorry, that the directions did not work - make sure that the 'reset' worked?

Just as a suggestion (which should have been corrected by the previous maneuvers), double-click on the 'home button' which will bring up a task bar at the bottom of your home screen - press & hold any app there until all being to jiggle - find the 'Map' icon and press the little x (upper left corner) - this will force a shutdown - now this may not even be a choice? But if so, let us know if this help - if not, then repost back here - good luck! :)

OP
J

jillsipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi giradman thanks for the"welcome"
I followed your instructions of doing the double click home button and xing out of
all my apps (literally all my apps were running) So thanks for that lesson!
I then did another reset but no success.... Maps still not opening

Thanks
Jill

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not all your apps were running, but we'll not get into that now.

The next step down the road is a restore. This will wipe your iPad clean and restore it to factory defaults. You'll have to enable just like you did when new.

If you are uncomfortable with this and still within 90 days of your iPad's purchase, or you got the Apple Care extended protection you can contact Apple Support and have them walk you through.

Here is what I suggested in another thread when asked about restoring. I'm lazy. :D

Save all important files off the iPad before restoring. You may be able to recover them with a restore from backup afterwards, but don't take a chance. Before you restore, make sure you get a good backup in iTunes. This will give you the best chance of getting your iPad back in order with the minimum of fuss.

Backing up in iTunes is easy. It does one every time you sync. Before you do the last backup, right click on the iPad in iTunes and choose Transfer Purchases. You can force a backup the same way.

When you are ready and sure all you important files are saved either in iTunes or elsewhere, all you have to do to restore is choose Restore from the summary page. When it is finished your iPad will look exactly like it did when it came out of the box.

When you connect the iPad to iTunes after the restore it will want to set it up again. It should offer you a chance to restore from a backup, just like it did when you set your husband's up. Choose your backup and let it do its thing. Before you sync, go through all the sync pages and make sure they are setup the way you want.

You may end up having to do some minor tweaks to get everything back, but most of it should be fine.

For more information here is Apple's help page on backups and restoring your iPad.

iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software

Most reactions

Latest posts