What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with Iconoclasm

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased and installed Iconoclasm and tried it out. Now no matter what I do I can only get three rows of icons. What am I doing wrong???

OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I figured out how to remove the app (new to cydia) but when I re started my ipad I am stuck with 5x2 icons. Really need some help here people....................thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Iconoclasm is a base for icon placement on a jail broken iPad. It comes with only a few icon layouts. Those layouts are accessible in the Settings app, under Iconoclasm > Uniform Layout. The selection that comes by default is limited. If you want more, press the button "Get More Layouts" (in that page), which will take you to Cydia. Then, you can browse to your heart's content.

Or, you can go directly to Cydia, select the "Sections" tab, scroll down to the line titled "Addons (Iconoclasm)" and browse that way (it's the same - the one from the app is just a direct link).

Ulitmately, finding a good Iconoclasm set-up is pretty much trial and error. You'll just have to keep applying ones you think sound good, respring and see if they work for you.

Me, personally: I have Iconoclasm installed and I'm using the default setting of Five-Column SB (5x4), which can be found under the Uniform Layout box in Settings. This layout gives me a five column with four row layout - in both portrait and landscape. Which is what I like because it stays consistent. YMMV.

Hope some of this helps.

Marilyn

P.S. Oh, and please give the forum a bit more of a chance to respond than 10 hours. This is an international forum and sometimes, people haven't even read your post before you "bump" it. All you do, with constant bumping, is annoy the other forum members - and break our rules! Thanks for your understanding ... and patience.

OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Marilyn for your response. I appologize for being impatient but I was thinking that maybe I was going to have to restore my ipad and then rejailbrake it. If that is the case I obviously would want to do it before Apple stops signing 5.0.1. But I will try and be more patient in the future.

Thanks for your explaination of how iconoclasm works but that is exactly how i have been using it. I go to settings, find iconoclasm and make a selection and then I respring. Problem is, no matter what choice I make I only get two rows. If I chose the one that you suggested I will only get two rows of four instead of 5 rows of four. Are you using Ipad 2 recently jailbroken on IOS 5 ?

It just isnt working for me, even after removing it my home page is stuck with only 2 rows of icons.

thanks for your time................rick

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You realise you need to move your icons onto the page don't you? If you set a 5x5 grid you need to move 25 icons on there to fill it. The iPad doesn't reflow icons to fill previous pages automatically. It only pushes them forward when a page is full.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To add to what f4780y said: If you use Gridlock (which I do), you won't have to fill up the page. Gridlock will allow you to put an icon anywhere Iconoclasm would have if you were filling the page.

IOW - no Gridlock means you must fill the page, as f4780y says.

Sorry I wasn't more clear before...

Marilyn

OP
R

rickyricardo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To add to what f4780y said: If you use Gridlock (which I do), you won't have to fill up the page. Gridlock will allow you to put an icon anywhere Iconoclasm would have if you were filling the page.

IOW - no Gridlock means you must fill the page, as f4780y says.

Sorry I wasn't more clear before...

Marilyn

Okay, now I feel like an idiot! No I did not realize I have to move icons over myself. Let me try and figure out how to do that and I will get back to you.

Thanks so much for your information..................rick

Okay, I figured it out. Thank you both very much for your help. I obviously have a lot to learn about my ipad.

Last edited:

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@RickyRicardo - Thank you for starting this thread.
I just downloaded iconoclasm and didn't know where to find it since I didn't get an icon. I looked in the Settings and found it, but I had no idea about using it. I was under the impression that I would be able to move the icons to wherever I wanted, like unchecking the auto-arrange on a MSWindows desktop.
Right now I am using a 5x5 because I had all of my icons in related pages. That is to go by the wayside shortly.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@RickyRicardo - Thank you for starting this thread.
I just downloaded iconoclasm and didn't know where to find it since I didn't get an icon. I looked in the Settings and found it, but I had no idea about using it. I was under the impression that I would be able to move the icons to wherever I wanted, like unchecking the auto-arrange on a MSWindows desktop.
Right now I am using a 5x5 because I had all of my icons in related pages. That is to go by the wayside shortly.

Iconoclasm arranges icons into pre-defined patterns or layouts, e.g. 5x5, 6x8, or "L shaped".

Gridlock is the tweak that lets you move icons wherever you like without them auto-arranging (filling in any blanks you create).

You can combine both tweaks to allow you to set a non-standard pattern or layout and then arrange the icons at will within those patterns.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Iconoclasm arranges icons into pre-defined patterns or layouts, e.g. 5x5, 6x8, or "L shaped".

Gridlock is the tweak that lets you move icons wherever you like without them auto-arranging (filling in any blanks you create).

You can combine both tweaks to allow you to set a non-standard pattern or layout and then arrange the icons at will within those patterns.

Thank you for that information. That will let me arrange the icons differently per page.
It may not be related, but after installing iconoclasm the theme I am working on has lost the items in the /Bundles/com.apple.springboard folder. I wanted to change the FolderSwitcherBG~ipad.png picture after touching it up. Now it doesn't show up. I'll query the forums, or start a new thread if I don't find anything.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fid said:
Thank you for that information. That will let me arrange the icons differently per page.
It may not be related, but after installing iconoclasm the theme I am working on has lost the items in the /Bundles/com.apple.springboard folder. I wanted to change the FolderSwitcherBG~ipad.png picture after touching it up. Now it doesn't show up. I'll query the forums, or start a new thread if I don't find anything.

I would almost certainly guarantee that has nothing to do with the installation of iconoclasm. There is absolutely no way it can effect the contents of a theme directory. It is completely separated from Winterboard themes. I suspect you may have accidentally deleted something when "touching it up".

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
I would almost certainly guarantee that has nothing to do with the installation of iconoclasm. There is absolutely no way it can effect the contents of a theme directory. It is completely separated from Winterboard themes. I suspect you may have accidentally deleted something when "touching it up".

You are correct that it isn't iconoclasm. I wasn't sure since both it and winterboard change the visual of the GUI. I tested a different theme that has a different FolderSwitcherBG~ipad.png picture and it changed from the default. There must be something wrong with the picture I changed. Back to the drawing board. Literally.
Thank you f4780y.

superhoops

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would just mention not to use Iconoclasm if you have Infiniboard installed. I did that and you lose the bottom row of icons.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
superhoops said:
I would just mention not to use Iconoclasm if you have Infiniboard installed. I did that and you lose the bottom row of icons.

I have both installed and working OK. Maybe you just didn't set them both up appropriately?

Most reactions

Latest posts