What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with Apple TV 3 MD199LL/A

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Greetings and some questions, please.

I have a iPad 1, jailbroken ver 5.1.1, and an ATV3 ver 5.2.

1> Should I update the ATV3 to the latest iOS version ? Pro and Con, please ? Some info that I found on the net is either over my head, or confusing. For example:
So, some directions please.

2> I read the forum posts and this video tutorial
By Double clicking the home button, I was able to select the Apple TV icon. But I could not get the TV to display my iPad screen as shown on the video. The TV screen continues to display Apple TV logo and several links (hulu, etc . . )
I've been messing with this for a while now, including reading and rereading
So, is this the limitation of iPad 1 ? Or did I miss something ?

Thanks for reading and hopefully, directions.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
with the first generation iPad, you can only stream video to the Apple TV, you cannot mirror the iPad display (i.e. everything showing on the iPad 1 shows on the TV). So, that's why you are not able to mirror.

However, as you are jail broken, there is a solution for you. However, it is not a wireless solution. But, if you still want to, you need the following:

(1) The tweak "DisplayOut" from Cydia

(2) an Apple Digital AV adapter or VGA adapter so you can physically connect to the TV via HDMI or VGA cable.

Then, once you've hooked everything up, you can mirror.

Sorry, but the iPad1 never did get the mirroring capability; only the iPad2 and higher did. So this is the best you can achieve.

Marilyn

OP
mydave

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks,
That explains question 2.
Hope to have advise on question 1, about whether or not to update from 5.2 to latest ?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks,
That explains question 2.
Hope to have advise on question 1, about whether or not to update from 5.2 to latest ?

Well, TBH, I don't know much about the Apple TV. However, I do know the third generation is not jail breakable, so there's no reason I can see to NOT upgrade it. Might as well get the newest OS on it, is my opinion.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts