What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help please

Not too cluey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi to all, I need some advice I have been into the shops and asked but never get the same reply, so here is my situation. I am going overseas and before I go I want to buy an ipad so I can get in contact with my Family and do be able to see them when I make contact, my friend does this when he is away, he rings his family on his phone and they can see him on their ipad, does that make sense, sorry I am quite old and do not know anything about these things, I have been told to buy an ipad with wifi and 3 G, BUT I don't have an iphone I use a Samsung Galaxy phone will that work. What do you suggest I do, if this is too hard to I will understand. Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi to all, I need some advice I have been into the shops and asked but never get the same reply, so here is my situation. I am going overseas and before I go I want to buy an ipad so I can get in contact with my Family and do be able to see them when I make contact, my friend does this when he is away, he rings his family on his phone and they can see him on their ipad, does that make sense, sorry I am quite old and do not know anything about these things, I have been told to buy an ipad with wifi and 3 G, BUT I don't have an iphone I use a Samsung Galaxy phone will that work. What do you suggest I do, if this is too hard to I will understand. Thanks

Hi, welcome to iPF!

Your friends uses Facetime, I suppose. This only works between Apple devices. You can't use it with your Samsung Galaxy phone. You could use Google's Hangouts, if your phone is an Android, or Skype.

Last edited:

batty505

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Any tablet with a front mounted camera will let you do video chats, as long as you have fast enough wifi connection.
I use my ipad 2 and mifi to FaceTime or Skype with family & friends.

If you're going overseas, it depends on what your host country uses for cellphone protocols or if you plan on using public wifi to connect your ipad or tablet to.

Does this help?
Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts