What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help on switching between gsm and 3g mode

jeremy7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there any way to manually swtiching between gsm/edge and 3g mode?
is that under "carrier"?but that always in automatic mode,cant change to manual...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad - like all mobile 'phones - automatically switches between GPRS, EDGE, 3G and the so-called 3.5G (HSDPA). There is no facility for the user to select usually/always because, for a given carrier, only one service will be available in a particular cell. If more than one service were available, the iPad will always use the fastest service.

Tim

OP
J

jeremy7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i thought mobile phones having the way to switch manually? i am sure my mobile can..that's mean ipad dont have this function,am i right?thanks for your reply...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - a mobile 'phone cannot switch between GPRS, EDGE, 3G and 3.5G. You can switch between carriers - if you have the necessary SIM card - so you could switch between, say, GPRS on carrier A and EDGE on carrier B, but you cannot switch between GPRS and EDGE on the same carrier because that carrier will, typically, only provide a single service in a given cell.

Tim

OP
J

jeremy7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm...maybe different country got a different setting...i double checked,with my mobile,i switching the gsm 900/1800 and umts 900/2100,it basically manually changing either i am using edge or 3g...thanks for your explanation

EnnaShare

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
But the iPad does not have that facility.

Tim

Again, for clarification...if i have both wi fi n 3g, my ipad2 will use the faster internet reception? I plan to use my sim carrier when i'm on the go, at home i use wifi. However when i turn off the carrier, it will automatically turn on again.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Again, for clarification...if i have both wi fi n 3g, my ipad2 will use the faster internet reception?

If wifi is available and you have a connection to it the iPad will always use the wifi over the 3G. It will only use 3G when it can't connect to wifi.

Most reactions

Latest posts