What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help now

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad started getting a little unresponsive this morning. Email wouldn't let me type right away into the "to" box and then email program coming up blank. I couldn't get it to do anything so I hit the shut down switch and now it is stuck with a swirly thing and won't shut down completely or turn back on. It's been about 10 minutes! Apple support is closed. Any suggestions!?

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Update

I held down the on/off switch and the home button for several seconds and it finally shut down. I turned it back on and everything seems normal. I also synced it to back it up.

Has anyone else experienced this? I thought it might have something to do with new data coming from the iTunes store? Updates or something?

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, nothing to do with that. It happened with my iPhone a few times and I just held the home and power button for a few seconds.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I held down the on/off switch and the home button for several seconds and it finally shut down. I turned it back on and everything seems normal. I also synced it to back it up.

Has anyone else experienced this? I thought it might have something to do with new data coming from the iTunes store? Updates or something?

Don't worry about it - you merely had to reboot the iPad. How often have you had to do that with your PC??!! OK - if it happens frequently, you might want to be a little more concerned but nothing to worry about just now. And - congratulations on knowing how to reboot your iPad!!

Tim

Jayded

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ignorant user here. You have to press the power button And the home button to reboot? I thought it was just the power button.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ignorant user here. You have to press the power button And the home button to reboot? I thought it was just the power button.

A brief press of the Power button puts the iPad to sleep
A long press of the Power button switches the iPad off.
A very long press of the Power and Home buttons reboots the iPad - useful when it freezes.

Tim

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do any of these actions result in a hard reset though where data would be wiped clean?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NYHorsewoman said:
Do any of these actions result in a hard reset though where data would be wiped clean?

No, your data will be safe with any of the three actions that Tim mentioned.

The Archangel

Jayded

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
A brief press of the Power button puts the iPad to sleep
A long press of the Power button switches the iPad off.
A very long press of the Power and Home buttons reboots the iPad - useful when it freezes.

Tim

Ok yeah, I knew the first two, wasn't registering reboot when I read it yesterday. Good to know though, I was just shutting it off with the power button then turning it back on.

OP
NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it a good idea to reboot once a week or so vs. Just turning it off?

Most reactions

Latest posts