What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help deciding on which one to buy...

Mickeylittle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah ok, that's the same thing the guy at Apple said. Not sure how to determine how big a regular everyday photo/video would be esp. since Im not doing anything out of the ordinary...just videos and pics of my kid participating in various activities and at end of vacation time, going through it all and deciding what to keep/trash and then move that over to the laptop.

I agree with getting the 64GB as well and here is why. The 16GB is just too small for people who are going to store photos and videos. So why pay $100 for an extra 16GB when you can pay $200 for an extra 48GB?

Now to help you with your other question, if you currently have a group of photos on your computur you can get an idea of their file size by right clicking on the folder they are located in within My Computer and choosing properties. So if you have a folder of 25 pictures and you right click and find out that it is 100 MEGS then you have a rough estimate that pictures taken like those will give you around 250 to 1 GB.

If you have a Windows PC I suggest DVD Catakyst for $9.99 to rip your DVDs into a playable format for the iPad and a good setting will give you a 2 hour movie at about 1.25 GB and a lot of movies are only 90 minutes so they come in at a little under 1 GB. I use the Apple TV setting so that if I decide to play the movie on my iPad while hooked up to a TV somewhere, it will still look good.

OP
D

Debi F.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, thank you SO much everyone. Much more simplified information for a non-tech person like myself, than what Apple was giving me. Definitely going to go with the 64 gb now, but that means I'll have to wait another month or two unless Apple decides to bless me with a Memorial Day sale -- which is doubtful because of its popularity, but I'm hopeful...lol.

Many thanks again to you all. =)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think Apple ever has sales...well, maybe ever blue moon, but they are not for much...I don't think they are worth waiting for.

I hear Best Buy is putting all of their MacBooks on sale....which means there are new models about the hit the streets.

OP
D

Debi F.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for this potentially stupid question - but is an Ipad considered a Macbook. Or is it just that if Apple is coming out with a new Macbook that means another Ipad is imminent as well?

OP
D

Debi F.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just checked Best Buy, they don't offer the 4G LTE Version. Is that a buy direct from Apple exclusive only? And what is the drop-off from the version without the 4G LTE to one with it? Frankly I don't really understand the whole 4G LTE thing to begin with. Can anyone help with that?

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for this potentially stupid question - but is an Ipad considered a Macbook. Or is it just that if Apple is coming out with a new Macbook that means another Ipad is imminent as well?

No, MacBooks are Apple's line of laptops; iPads are a totally separate product. So far, new iPad models have been released around March/April time, so it's very unlikely we'll see another new iPad this year.

I just checked Best Buy, they don't offer the 4G LTE Version. Is that a buy direct from Apple exclusive only? And what is the drop-off from the version without the 4G LTE to one with it? Frankly I don't really understand the whole 4G LTE thing to begin with. Can anyone help with that?

I'm not in the US so can't comment on availability - though I'd be amazed if the 4G iPads weren't available from retailers other than Apple.

Re. 4G/LTE; iPads are available in two versions (I'm ignoring colour and capacity here) - WiFi-only and WiFi with cellular capabilities.

WiFi-only versions connect to the internet by WiFi (like you probably have at home, or through WiFi hotspots at e.g. Starbucks, McDonalds etc…) but when there's no WiFi, you can't get online. With a WiFi+Cellular iPad that's set up with a service provider/carrier (e.g. AT&T, Verizon etc…) you can get online when you're out of range of WiFi, though you are charged extra for the data you use.

4G/LTE is the latest, fastest version of this cellular network, though all the other cellular networks (3G, 2G) remain available if required, so if a cellular-capable iPad can't get a connection to a 4G network, it drops down to 3G - you're still connected, but at a slower speed.

HTH Pete

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I don't think Apple ever has sales...well, maybe ever blue moon, but they are not for much...I don't think they are worth waiting for.

I hear Best Buy is putting all of their MacBooks on sale....which means there are new models about the hit the streets.

Oh they do, I got an iPad 2 in the black Friday sale last autumn (fall).

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I bought my iPad LTE version from Best Buy...where did you check? The MacBook is a laptop, not an iPad. An iPad is like a laptop without a keyboard, but with a simplified operating system.

I thought I had explained the 4G/LTE. It is just an iPad with a cellular data plan, just like on your phone (some people think if an iPad as a really big iPhone without the phone part. But it is more like an iPod Touch, but really big. I'm probably confusing you further....) It means you can use the internet on your iPad while you are out and about, but near a cellular tower, so you can surf the web or get email...your cell phone has a voice plan, and if you ask for it, a data plan as well. If you have a smartphone you typically must buy a data plan. Do you have a smart phone? Verizon charges $30/month for 2GB worth of data "traffic" on your iPad. This is in addition to wifi, which you generally use at home, but lots of shops have free wifi (though I hate to use them because of possible security issues). The 4G/LTE iPad cost more than a Wifi only iPad, but it does include the GPS antenna. If you get the WIFI only version of an iPad you don't get a GPS antenna.

I find the the GPS antenna to be useful (some don't)...you can use apps that give you location information like Yelp..and you can use Navigation apps like Maps (but you need a data plan) or Navigon. Note, if you get Navigon it has it's own maps that are stored on your iPad so you can use the GPS without the data plan. If you just use the Maps app that comes no the iPad, then you can use the GPS but you need the data plan if you want to get new or refreshed maps. Some people think it is silly to use a big ole iPad for Navigation...I disagree...for long trips it is great!

IMG_0461.jpg

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't remember exactly but it was cheaper than a refurb of the same model as I recall.

The Archangel

Wow...that's not bad. The most I have seen Apple stuff discounted is $50.

OP
D

Debi F.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just checked Best Buy again and now see it. I've been on the Apple website too long...they give the option to select the Wi-Fi only or the 4G version once I selected which Ipad I wanted to buy. Best Buy has them listed separately, as they should -- I just didn't think of looking further down...LOL

So unfortunately I'm feeling overwhelmed and lost again on the whole wifi/4G part (no fault of yours, I'm just one of those people who like to turn things on and VOILA, its amazing I ever got my wireless set up at home and only did because the customer service guy at Seagate was really helpful)

So if I went with this one I could only get internet when at a hotspot (hotel room, restaurant with wifi service, etc.) or at home on my wi-fi - correct?
Apple® - The new iPad® with Wi-Fi - 64GB - White - MD330LL/A

And if I went with this one or the one that says 3G, I would pretty much have more than everything I need to connect anywhere/anytime.
www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+The+new+iPad%26%23174%3B+with+Wi-Fi+%2B+4G+-+64GB+(Verizon)+-+White/3893757.p?id=1218441137408&skuId=3893757

As for data plan on my cell, I don't have one since I almost never turn it on. But I know Verizon offers the data plan for I think the $30/month. Not sure I'll use it much if at all, but I think someone here mentioned I can add the plan then take it back off whenever I know I'm going to need it for that month?

Sorry for being all over the place, I'm trying to get all this info right. =)

ETA: Oh and yes, I also have a Garmin GPS. With all the road trips we take, we would be so lost without it.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, your links are correct. A couple more things to note.

1) Verizon charged me a $35 activiation free to turn data service on for my iPad. Others here said they don't do that, but they did that to me. And I have a data plan on my iPhone 4S.

2) You can take it to any Verizon store and they will make it work for you...

3) I sugggest activiting service before you need it. Two nights in a full service hotel will pay for 1 month of service (most non-full service hotels/motels offer free wifi, but most full-services ones don't - stupid, I know). Then, keep it on for a few months to spread out that activation free. Then, you can go into your account and suspend the cellular on the iPad. Then you don't get charged for monthly service until you un-suspend it. There will be no more activiation free. If you cancel the service, they will hit you up again. My understanding is that the service will only stay suspended for 4 to 6 months and then you need to do it again. So ask about this when you activiate. And you don't need to activate service when you buy the iPad.

ps. The white is prettier but movies and most other stuff look better on the black. The white is so lovely that it draws your eyes to the bezel and not what's on the screen. But please get what you like!!! Just a random comment. :)

pps. Enjoy!!

OP
D

Debi F.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much!! I'm pretty excited for it. I really like the white...but once I start playing around with it for a little while in the store (I'm assuming Best Buy has them out on display to do that)?, I'll probably change my mind 100 more times.

On the Verizon end of it, I didn't know hotels charged for the wi-fi as I never bought my laptop on a trip before (nervous about it getting stolen, dropped/stepped/vacuumed over). Its one of my concerns about buying the Ipad -- plus carrying it around is not as simple/easy as throwing my camera in my bag.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The non-full service hotels have free wifi...but the major ones, and then call themselves "full-service" hotels because they offer you anymost anything you need but they make you pay, never have free internet. Weirdest things in the world. I was a general chair for an international conference a few years ago and that is where I learned this.

As for hotels and gadgets...many people do. Heck, I do all the time. I usually stash my goodies away in my luggage...never had a problem with something being stolen, but I never leave anything out in the open when I'm not in my room. My last stay in a Chicago Sheridan, they wanted $15/night for internet...and it would probably have been lousy internet, too. That's when I decided to get the 4G version of the iPad...and get this...the new iPad with verizon has the hotspot feature...that means that if you are on a trip and want to use your laptop on the web, you can get your iPad be the pipe for your laptop to get to the web. Or hubby can do so or the kids...just keep in mind that you still only get 2GB per month of data and once you run through it they charge you 10$ per extra gig. So far, I have not gone over the limit...but watching movies or youtube over 4G will burn through your data plan...you can use 2GB in a few hours, if you do the right things...but regular web surfing does take a lot of data.

Sorry to be overloading you with stuff here. I need to get back to pecking out words on real work! :)

Most reactions