Need help connecting iPad 2 to home WI-FI

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by runningranch, Dec 30, 2011.

1. runningranch

runningranch iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Using a D-Link DIR-615 modem, my notebook, android phone all are connected with no problems. When trying to connect the iPad, I get the message "Unable to join the network." Have worked on this several hours trying to research any problem on the D-Link site or Apple and am at a loss. I am no computer expert by any stretch of the imagination. The iPad does connect to the internet using my Android as a hot spot. Any suggestions??

2. scott6809

scott6809 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Under settings ----> Wi-Fi ----> Choose a network -----> Select your network.

You can also go to the Apple Support site and look for Wi-Fi Assistant, which has a walk thru.

3. oberkc

oberkc iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    I have found nothing unique about iPads joining networks. It sounds as if you are familiar with the general process with iPad settings and joining of netwoks, correct? Are you able to connect your ipad to other networks beyond your phone, such as at a coffee house, or airport?

Like you, I am no expert with networks. Having said this, have you or anyone else performed a lot of configuring with your DLink router? Is it possible that someone has limited numbers of connections allowed on your router, or set up reserved port numbers, or disabled some of the automatic connection settings, or firewall settings? If your router is relatively stock, without someone having gone in and manually configured some things, I cannot imagine why your DLink router would not connect. My router is also DLink, (-825, I think) and my iPad connects without any problem.

4. Jbembenek

Jbembenek iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you tried restarting your router? This will sometimes help with dlink roters.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

5. Pommier

Pommier iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I know this is basic, but make sure the correct password was entered when the iPad was set up to access Wi-Fi. Also that Wi-Fi and Ask to Join Networks are ON in the settings. If you see the network under Choose a Network and it shows good signal strength, it should connect. If it shows a padlock, it needs a password. If everything looks OK, try turning the iPad off and back on to reestablish Wi-Fi.