What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice on iPhone substitue due to iPad

jbrown411

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After careful research and a detailed analysis of the pros and cons of the various tablets, even though it is not perfect, I made the decision to buy an iPad2 bought it last Saturday. I have to admit that so far I have been extremely pleased with the experience and its capabilities. It think it is a fabulous tool for my work and personal use.

I have been waiting to buy the upcoming iPhone 5 but have decided that I don't need it anymore since I have the iPad and like it so much more than my wife's iPhone4. So now I am looking to upgrade my Palm phone with another phone that does not require a data plan - any recommendations?
Since I will have internet access from my iPad I don't think I need to pay for a cell phone that also has internet access and pay the monthly fee.
Your advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

otacon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After careful research and a detailed analysis of the pros and cons of the various tablets, even though it is not perfect, I made the decision to buy an iPad2 bought it last Saturday. I have to admit that so far I have been extremely pleased with the experience and its capabilities. It think it is a fabulous tool for my work and personal use.

I have been waiting to buy the upcoming iPhone 5 but have decided that I don't need it anymore since I have the iPad and like it so much more than my wife's iPhone4. So now I am looking to upgrade my Palm phone with another phone that does not require a data plan - any recommendations?
Since I will have internet access from my iPad I don't think I need to pay for a cell phone that also has internet access and pay the monthly fee.

You won't find any smartphone on any carrier that doesn't require a data plan at this point. I don't think you're going to find a dumb phone that won't require at least a $9.99 a month data plan for texting, etc. either. In my own case I have the wifi only iPad2 and will be getting the Droid Bionic when it drops to utilize it's 4G hotspot. I live in Boston so I can take advantage of Verizon's blazing fast LTE. I'd be very careful too in that many phones use the data connection in the background without you even knowing it and could possibly ring up HUGE data charges. I've seen it happen more times than I can count.

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jbrown411 said:

I think your only option is to buy secondhand, but I'm not sure you could get a " Pay as you go" tariff in the US. As suggested above, most if not all carriers will require a data plan and monthly contract for anything decent new. PAYG is not ideal for a smartphone anyway, I get a handset upgrade every year, the next one due in January. IPhone for me I think, although I must admit, more and more friends are getting hold of iPad 2 s now, and I FaceTime a lot!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

EvilMonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with them...you can probably get a cheap pay as you go phone.

To be perfectly honest, I would probably give it 2 or 3 weeks before deciding to dump your phone's data plan.

When I first got my iPad2, I used it constantly, but I have gravitated back to my phone for normal use when out and about. It's always in my pocket or in the dock of my car or nearby.

My iPad gets used when i am laying on the couch or in bed and whatnot. When I just need to check my email or the weather real quick, I pull out my phone. Also, I don't carry my iPad into restaurants or during my every-day travels to the store (check my grocery list for example) or even just to a museum or something with the family. Like I wouldn't want to carry the iPad around Disneyland with me, but my phone is nice and convenient for stuff like that.

Just pointing out you may end up missing your phone's data plan, unless you are going to carry your iPad literally everywhere you go.

My two cents....obviously your personal needs/opinions should be taken into account. My opinion is just to give i more than a few days with your iPad and see if you can truly ditch the phone's data plan.

OP
J

jbrown411

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your Advice - I have decided

Thanks everyone for all of your good advice.

I have decided to get an iPhone afterall for all of the reasons that EvilMonkey gave - excellent insights!

Nancybout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
glad you got the iPhone,I had iPhone 3, cracked n broke after a few years I got android galaxy phone,I always had my BB n I gave the android to my husband and now using the Torch...it's s Nice,not an iPhone but I love long nails and need to text often.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts