What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice on buying now

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the board and in the market for an iPad. Most of my work with the iPad would be browsing, iTunes, and making lesson plans for teaching. I'm also excited about the apps.

Most of my web browsing will be at home or at work; I don't travel much other than to see family.

I'm leaning toward the 32 gb iPad without the 3G and wanted to know if that's the way to go.

Thanks for your input!

donnington

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quote: "..........I'm leaning toward the 32 gb iPad without the 3G and wanted to know if that's the way to go............."

If you feel you can justify spending more, then go for the '64'. (How I wish I'd taken my own advice six months ago!)

OP
J

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How quickly do you fill your memory?
If I were to spend more it might be for the 3G. Some friends say they often can't acquire a signal.

Gemnilocs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 32gb wifi only and later purchased the mifi from verizon. I have my iPad now for a total of 1 1/2 weeks. lol and I love it so far.
I figured that I can delete things like photos and music because I don't need to have all 2000 songs and 1600 pics on here all the time. I am currently visiting home and wanted to share photos with family,brake photos and email them instantly to family too. I decided on the middle of the road device and got the 32gb. good luck.

Gemnilocs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oh and the 32gb was in my budget but if I could afford it I would've gotten the 64gb but I wanted it before getting on a plane to Georgia.:)

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
As with anything, buy the best you can afford at the time. It is very easy to fill 32gb without even knowing it. I have the 64gb one, but there is no way I could fit my entire iTunes library of music, let alone movies/tv shows. I am at the point of needing to upgrade my iTunes hard drive from 320gb.

If you can find the spare cash for the 64gb, you will not be disappointed.

OP
J

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the 32 gig will be enough. I do have a Mac at home that houses my iTunes collection and most of my photos and lesson plans. Unless I'm under-guessing, the 32 gig should be enough for lesson plans on the go or research for classes.

It's the 3G that is holding me up. I didn't want to go into a monthly payment plan on top of everyone's obvious expenses. But as Ipad-Fan said, the 3G service would allow me work at home (and vacations I suppose).

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
what is wrong with you people 16gb is more than enough and second why do people think the ipad is even worth 500 dollars. Craigslist people you can get them cheap, got mine for like 340 with two different cases and chargers. If anything it has a warranty so no biggie.

I don't understand how people just throw away this money, 3g is just retarded you have a data cap, att sucks and you pay for it. I have a free wifi tether thru my phone ( Sprint EVO 4G )like most smartphones do so there is never a need for 3g version. My sprint bill for everything is maybe 50 dollars a month (just say you work for a major company like ups, aa and you get 25% off your bill) And 64gb's and 32gb is a waste. There are many ways to remote access your files on home pc, dropbox, air video etc. Ipad can't even play most videos with converting which sucks now I have two versions of the same movie.

Look I know its your money but really why not spend more on something else pm me and I can help you or anybody. Ipad is a $300-$400 device tops or even that you can get a 64gb for like 500 bucks I bought one and sold on ebay for 750.

Doing any kind of work on the ipad good luck with that let me know how that works out for you, I hope your teaching kindergarden. Ipad is cool but really people it's not going to be a computer anytime soon, don't let steve jobs fool you. Damn its too late.

Last edited:
OP
J

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That might be the most emotional post I've ever read.

I never trusted buying something like an iPod or computer from CL for fear of a scam or something.

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what CL your talking about... I had a hard time finding any for less than $450.....

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That might be the most emotional post I've ever read.

I never trusted buying something like an iPod or computer from CL for fear of a scam or something.

Whats the scam say hey meet me at the apple store, you get to see it in person and even an apple store rep can help you. I like buying stuff for less and getting a good deal, yes craiglist has alot of scammers but I honestly don't see how people fall for them.

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what CL your talking about... I had a hard time finding any for less than $450.....

Well I live in south florida and it takes time I mean it's not like your just going to find one now. But if you watch the postings for a few days you'll come across somebody desperate that needs some cash.

Anyway I can't see how paying 900 dollars for a 64gb ipad with 3g makes any kind of sense, I'm far from poor and to me it's like setting money on fire. I think if your smart enough to post in a forum then you can do all of the things I said in the previous post. Like my mother could not do all of these things it's best for her to go to a store and just buy one.

But when you think about 900 ipad + apps + att bill I mean wow, maybe apple products are for rich people and I just haven't made it yet.

OP
J

jboland17

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The monthly bill is the thing holding me back from the 3G. Do any of your without 3G regret that purchase?

CMFox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The monthly bill is the thing holding me back from the 3G. Do any of your without 3G regret that purchase?

Remember you aren't signing a 2 year contract...but just going month to month with ATT. You can cancel and start again a few months later.

I have a 3g and wouldn't recommend going without it. We use it in strange towns when we are trying to track down stores, coffee places, restaurants. I can use it to surf the web when I'm out and about trying to buy things and am looking for the best price. I email, download, and do work in airports without having to tap into their for-pay wifi. The gps alone is worth the price.

Getta 3g, you'll be glad you did.

hth
CM

Most reactions