What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice on 1 vs 2 and REAL gains/advantages

Dawgfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I passed on iPad 1 but dove right in when the iPad 2 came out. I have to say that the week or two I spent with the 2 showed me that I do want to own an iPad. However, I am one of those that had significant light-leak (at least 8 semi-circles of light with several visible from Netflix/Huli viewing). I did exchange my first one and the second one was just as bad (first was white and the second was black.. both 64GB at&t). Apple has been awesome and I am pretty sure I have an iPad 2 on hold for me today thanks to a very, very awesome store manager but....

I also have the option to purchase a 64GB 3G iPad 1 for $529.. yes, brand-new, not refurbished, in-the-box.. it's being offered by at&t. I have a $900 Apple Store credit and it would be easy to just keep trying the iPad 2 but to be 100% honest I also had what looked to be early screen separation and some dust under the screen on one of the iPad 2s I had.. not confidence inspiring. I know... I know.. I can get the 2 and Apple will "make it right". The thing is, how long will that take?

My main usage will be the web, email, social media and some basic gaming. I am guessing that Real Racing HD won't be quite the same on the iPad 1 but I am also guessing that many more graphically-basic games might be just fine.

The thing is, if I got the iPad 1 I could bank (does $$ on Apple Gift Cards expire?) $331 to put towards the iPad 3 when it comes out (I LOVE retina display). This is a compelling argument.

So, the question is to those who have an iPad 1 or upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad 2.. are you seeing THAT much improvement in web speed, graphics quality? I am not concerned with the hardware as I am indifferent to the sizes of the two.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me with this. I have been researching all I can "iPad 1 vs iPad 2" but there is nothing like true feedback from the actual community of users, not bloggers getting paid or comp'd units to review.

Last edited:

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I currently have both and the only issue I have with the iPad 2 is the yellow screen. If they get this fixed then I will stick with it. Otherwise I would stick with the 1st gen. It's the small things like the lack of waiting on apps to start, the general fluidity of the OS etc. that I appreciate over the iPad 1. If you haven't owned one then the iPad 1will most likely suffice imho but if you come from the iPad 1 then you will notice the difference.

OP
D

Dawgfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any once iPad 1 users, now iPad 2 users, that are like DAYUM.. this iPad 2 is blowing me away???

Seriously, just hoping for insight from those that used the iPad 1 and have upgraded. I am still torn between $529 iPad 1 and what I think is the safe route vs $900 iPad 2 and whatever time/gas/headache it takes to get a non-flawed iPad 2.

Thank you again.

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you dont need the camera's there isnt THAT much of a difference IMO. Im a techy geek so I just had to have it, dont regret it one bit. Lighter, faster and better graphics. What's not to like :)

OP
D

Dawgfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you dont need the camera's there isnt THAT much of a difference IMO. Im a techy geek so I just had to have it, dont regret it one bit. Lighter, faster and better graphics. What's not to like :)
What I didn't like was roughly 8-9 flashlights turned on around the edge of the screen. I didn't like the piece of dirt I could see under the screen or the edge of the screen that was mushy and looked to be coming up.

Please don't take this as rude (text can't express that I'm just saying that, not being a smart@&*) but that's the basis of my question.. whether or not to "deal" with these issues until Apple resolves them or just go back to 1 and wait for 3.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both versions

the 2 is much lighter, 1/3 thinner, shorter and narrower as well. That means my iPad cases do not fit the iPad2. The size and weight reduction also make using it as an e-reader significantly easier. Its no Kindle but, then again, its no Kindle.

It is markedly quicker to load applications, web pages, etc. The cameras are not a selling point to me (I am a photographer and have other options) but they do allow Facetime which has a value for many.

That's about it.

Dream

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I didn't like was roughly 8-9 flashlights turned on around the edge of the screen. I didn't like the piece of dirt I could see under the screen or the edge of the screen that was mushy and looked to be coming up.

Please don't take this as rude (text can't express that I'm just saying that, not being a smart@&*) but that's the basis of my question.. whether or not to "deal" with these issues until Apple resolves them or just go back to 1 and wait for 3.

I bought mine yesterday @ an Apple store and dont have this issue, thank god!

OP
D

Dawgfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I bought mine yesterday @ an Apple store and dont have this issue, thank god!
This gives me hope. I don't want to elaborate but let's just say I am confident that Apple knows it is a problem. I am confident they are addressing. I just am not confident on how soon they can resolve.

Glad to hear you have a good one, it's good news for you and likely many others.

Reaction score
As had been said before, the iPad has the perfect hardware for this OS, the apps just work with almost no waiting time. On iPad 1, you often have to wait a while, before a newly opened app responds.

Another thing to consider is the multitasking. On iPad 1, any large app will throw all other apps out of memory, so when you switch between apps (after all with multitouch gestures it's only 1swipe) it loads and loads. The iPad 2 on the other hand has near instant app switching, because more apps can stay in the RAM. For example, I can play Uber Racer, swipe right once and start typing immediately in iPF. I also found that iPad 1 regularly throws Skype out, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Otherwise are the two really similar. All my apps run on both iPads.

You could also think about buying iPad 2, if you sell it later for more then $330, you will almost have the same amount of money, depending on how much a 2year old iPad 1 would be worth.

A little side-note: My iPad 2 display is great. In direct comparison to iPad 1, does it show a purer white, so not all iPad have a yellow tint.

Last edited:

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see a big difference, but I'm doing things you said you don't need to do. Obviously, the apps made for the iPad 1 will always look as good as they ever did, and the type of apps you mentioned don't require a lot of horsepower, except for some games.

But my old iPad would crash with the iOS update and multiple-tasking, and crash after I would run memory/graphics intensive games like X-plane and big publications like WIRED and The Daily. I think there's just not enough ram in the first iPad.

Also, I DO want to run iPad 2 racing games on widescreen, 1080p on my big plasma display, so take my remarks with a grain of salt! :)

OP
D

Dawgfan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see a big difference, but I'm doing things you said you don't need to do. Obviously, the apps made for the iPad 1 will always look as good as they ever did, and the type of apps you mentioned don't require a lot of horsepower, except for some games.

But my old iPad would crash with the iOS update and multiple-tasking, and crash after I would run memory/graphics intensive games like X-plane and big publications like WIRED and The Daily. I think there's just not enough ram in the first iPad.

Also, I DO want to run iPad 2 racing games on widescreen, 1080p on my big plasma display, so take my remarks with a grain of salt! :)
I think this is what is keeping me from running to the store and buying that discounted iPad 1.

I used some apps that loaded images that would change and update and I thought it was brilliant implementation and I'm not sure how smooth that would be on the iPad 1. I also want to play those racing games :) but sitting here thinking.. really.. extra $300 for those rare times I hook it up to the big screen. I agree the RAM makes a difference and I think the point that many have made that as soon as developers start utilizing the new power it could make the iPad 1 a bit more frustrating...is an accurate point

Rookies

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Am new here folks :)

Hello everyone. I have had a iPad 1 since launch and love it, it such a great kit... I keep thinking is it worth getting the new version? I do lots web browsing and emails on my current iPad and browsing through forums using there own apps such as this forum too... Will a upgrade be of benefit to me? I am told it more for games improvements?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm very pleased I upgraded.
The speed and the extra memory are very noticeable as it's that bit smoother and responsive. Browsing for example is crisper and pages seem faster as there is less obvious page loading delays, though that may be the result of the latest iOS upgrade.
Memory intensive apps load straight away, whereas with the iPad1 I would have to free up memory before I could run some apps. Newer ones such as GarageBand and iMovie are designed to run on the iPad2, as I am sure will be the forthcoming Photoshop app, since Devs try to exploit the available hardware to get the maximum from their apps.

Not certain I can justify the following comment but subjectively the screen seems better somehow; colors crisper and more vibrant, but it could just be the particular ones I have. Ymmv.

Most reactions

Latest posts