What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need advice about note taking app which focuses mostly on typing text

StevenWays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking for an app to take notes, I need to be typing text on keyboard most of the time but I also need some small amount of handwriting (formulas, sings, special symbols and such).*

I've tried some apps but they didn't suit me very well.
The apps I've tried were
Notes plus, nice app but not comfortable for typing a lot of text. The main problem was that if I paste a large amount of text and it doesn't fit on a single page then part of it becomes impossible to see and edit, instead of being added to the next page.

Ghostwriter notes, again this app is mostly for handwriting and not very functional for typed text. Didn't like it at all, waste of 5$ IMHO.

My main issue is that I want an app that offers handwriting capabilities but focuses mostly on typing text instead of the other way around.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the search feature (in the toolbar at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information linked below my signature to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum.

With regard to your question, try conducting a search on "Notes" here at the forum...there are numerous posts about various apps, reviews, etc.

Welcome again and enjoy!

OP
S

StevenWays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I've browsed the forum and so far Ive found Notability for iPad which seems to be pretty good for my needs but I would also really appreciate any additional suggestions about similar apps, maybe there is something better?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I've browsed the forum and so far Ive found Notability for iPad which seems to be pretty good for my needs but I would also really appreciate any additional suggestions about similar apps, maybe there is something better?

I've tried a variety of note taking apps. Don't have my iPad within arm's reach at the moment. (I have a seven year old.) I concluded, however, that for your requirements, you've probably found the best app available.

You might consider Note Taker HD. It's similar to Notes Plus in capabilities but I like its interface better. However, it has the same "bias" toward handwriting that you note. While typed text can be added it presumes you'll want to use it primarily for handwritten notes. Noteability, as you've found, has the opposite bias.

Another couple of apps that have a typing bias but support handwritten entry are Noterize and Upad. (I have the "lite" (free) version of the latter. Not sure how it differs from the paid version.

Last edited:

essay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both noterize and notability.

I prefer notability for it's ease of use.

Like you, I prefer a note taking app that has a typing bias. In noterize, you need to create a box first where you type (this is annoying for me). In notability, you don't have to, just click on the current page, and you start typing.

If you want sketches, diagram or writing, you create a "box", then write, and insert it in the page in notability. For a typing bias app, I prefer this solution. Notability seems to have decided early on, that the page is a typing page primarily but which will accept writing, insertion of pictures (from iPad photo library or from iPad camera), insertion of web clips.

Now for a writing bias note app, I go for penultimate.

essay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to add.

I also like very much the text wrapping implement of notability. If you insert a box (say, of picture, diagram, writing), the text automatically wraps around it. And if you decide to move the box, the typed texts adjust accordingly.

I also like the automatic bullet and numbering. Very handy for those times I take notes bullet style.

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
+1 for Notability...has good connectivity as well. I use it a lot.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
S

StevenWays

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for replies!
I went with notability after all, seems like the best note taking app for my needs so far

Most reactions