What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a computer for an iPad?

Summer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. My question is this. Can I use an iPad if I don't have a computer? I think it initially needs to be attached to a computer, but could I use for instance my sisters computer to first set it up then would I just be able to use the iPad itself for the Internet, downloading apps etc. without having a computer of my own? I live in the country and would be getting an iPad with 3G. I know this is probably a dumb question but I don't know much about it. Thanks

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't remember needing a computer for anything. I think I just did mine via WiFi. But if you do, yes, just initialize it with your sister's computer and go from there. Otherwise, set it up at the Apple store when you buy it and be done with it. Just know in advance that it won't replace a computer if you're thinking about getting it instead of a computer.

OP
S

Summer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer. That really helps. I wanted it mainly for the Internet with 3G because I used to have a computer with dial up that was so slow. I guess I am thinking of an iPad instead of a computer, so not sure why I would need a computer? Please explain because I really am trying to find out if this is what I want or not. Thanks.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to get media such as songs, photo albums, videos on the iPad you'll have to have an computer, or in this case you could use your sister's computer. The iPad simply works just as an iPod touch would with the same synching and stuff. I remember the first time I synched mine when I wasn't used to a huge thing connecting through a tiny cable.

PadTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Summer, another consideration is patches and upgrades to iOS and/or built-in apps like Safari. My Apple retailer says they will initially set up the iPad for me and that I can bring it back in for upgrades, etc. You could probably bring it to you sister for those.

Reaction score
You NEED a computer to do the initial setup on iTunes, after that any upgrades and syncs you want to do via computer are discretionary. I wanted to play with mine as soon as I left Target with it , like I do with all portable gadgets I buy, but nooooo I had to wait until I got home , get iTunes off the web , set up an account, then set up my ipad, then play with it.
I'm like a kid with a new pair of shoes,I want to wear them home from the store.
I've only done a sync once since the initial setup to update to ios 4.3 and added some photos from my desktop while on there. The rest of my photos I just emailed to myself and saved them on the ipad by opening the email on my ipad and saving

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

iChuckNorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You NEED a computer to do the initial setup on iTunes, after that any upgrades and syncs you want to do via computer are discretionary. I wanted to play with mine as soon as I left Target with it , like I do with all portable gadgets I buy, but nooooo I had to wait until I got home , get iTunes off the web , set up an account, then set up my ipad, then play with it.
I'm like a kid with a new pair of shoes,I want to wear them home from the store.
I've only done a sync once since the initial setup to update to ios 4.3 and added some photos from my desktop while on there. The rest of my photos I just emailed to myself and saved them on the ipad by opening the email on my ipad and saving

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved.

This is a source of annoyance for me as well, I wanted to be able to plug the thing in and start playing with it right after I bought it. But instead, I had to go home, download and setup iTunes, sync the iPad, then I could play with it.

In order for the iPad to be taken seriously as laptop replacement or an "it's all I need" type device, Apple needs to make it more of a standalone product. Realistically, I don't think that's what Apple wants the iPad to be. They still want you to buy Macbooks, afterall ;)

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Summer, another thing to consider is apps. If you are on 3G some apps (over 20mb I think but could be wrong) won't load, you will need a wifi connection. I use my iPad for everything instead of a computer. I play music, read books, surf the net, emails etc. But you will need a computer every now and then to upgrade the operating system.

Gazzaho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've only had mine a week and I have a computer, and to be honest it's in no way a replacement for one. Don't think it is, I bought mine for mostly browsing the web on impulse, just switch on and go, no spending time waiting for long boot up times where you then forget what you wanted to check on the net.

There's no printer support either, unless you buy an AirPrint compatible printer which are few and far between, and all seem to be HP for some reason, according to the Apple site recommending AirPrint compatibility. Even if you have a computer it appears you still have to jump through hoops in order to get printing to work, using apps or enabling some hack or other to Windows. I don't understand Apple sometimes- scratch that - I don't understand them a lot of the time.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad simply works just as an iPod touch would with the same synching and stuff. I remember the first time I synched mine when I wasn't used to a huge thing connecting through a tiny cable.

Yes, the fact that in order to delete songs from the iPad, I need to sync it through iTunes is quite an annoyance.

OP
S

Summer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for all the good information and advice.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Yes, the fact that in order to delete songs from the iPad, I need to sync it through iTunes is quite an annoyance.

But if you accidentally delete them that would also be even more annoying

Most reactions