What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Navigation app

pilotpierre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be in the US at the end of the year and I'll be driving from LAX to Las Vegas then to the grand canyon and return.
I am after a good navigation app that does not require an Internet connection whilst traveling on the road (nor international roaming).
Any suggestions from happy users would be appreciated.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I actually drove this route a few years ago before iPads were out, really great drive! There are apps for which you can download the maps, and have them on your iPad, so no need for a connection. Try Maps with Me or the US Nav Free. These apps are free, I'll leave it to others to come up with others. Do you have a 3G/4G iPad as GPS is available without a charged sim as the chip is built into the iPad.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
P

pilotpierre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response leelai. I have an iPad 3 so am I right in assuming Maps app that comes with it will suffice for what I need?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm fairly certain that you need a connection for the native map app to work as it streams the map.....I've just turned off my cellular and wifi on my iPad and the map wouldn't load.

You need to download the maps so they are on your iPad and then you won't need a connection.....those 2 apps I mentioned have maps that can be downloaded beforehand and then you can use them on the road and the GPS will show you where you are on the maps without any connection. I use the Maps with Me maps all the time here (Australia). I'm also fairly certain with the Navfree app you can plot a course while you have a connection and then use it on the road without one. Have a look anyway and try them out before you go to see if they are good enough for what you need.

OP
P

pilotpierre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again. I will download the Australian and US maps and give the Aust one a whirl.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty city......I have family there.

You are going to love your drive, there is so much to see along the way.

OP
P

pilotpierre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done it before (on a bus with my wife and 2 kids) in 1980. This time we are going to do some walks in the grand canyon. I am a bit of a desert freak and have crossed every desert in Australia and love the US deserts. So by driving ourselves we can stop when we desire. We are also spending a week in las Vegas and will do 5 one day trips from there to various desert locations.
I ended up downloading both of the map apps you recommended and will have a play with trying to set up (and retain) some US routes tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.
Pete

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is something different but sounds great...loved the deserts and would have liked to have spent more time there.

I hope those apps will be suitable.

OP
P

pilotpierre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I buggerised around for several hours with the navfree app and it's definitely smarter than me. I cannot get it to plot a route from anywhere other than where I am, even with GPS switched off.
I tried plotting from Sydney airport to Nelson's bay, a trip we will be doing prior to heading off to the states, but it will only give me a route from home.
I have saved a route from home to a local shopping centre and will test the saved version next time I use the car, either tomorrow or Friday. It looks like you have to start a route from wherever you are at the time which is bloody frustrating.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a shame....I'm hoping someone else will tune in with more suggestions here. I'll warn you now, some navigation apps can be quite expensive.
I've been out and about today and did a drive into the country.....did a round trip of just over 500kms and used Maps with Me but then I don't need to plot a course. I even have built in satnav in my Prado but prefer the app.

stich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my iPad to use mostly as a GPS in the motorhome and after searching and talking on the RV Forums, I settled on MotionX Drive HD app. It was $10 and very good reviews. I'll be giving it a shakedown test this week as we're off on vacation to the ocean and even though I already know my route, I want to test it out. I like the fact that you can set things like hight restrictions adn things too. It already gives a better route than my factory GPS in my wifes new car. I'll let you know how it works when I get back.
Jack

Most reactions

Latest posts